The Sound

I woke up with a jolt. It took a few seconds for reality to hit. It was just a dream. Moving my hands to rub my face I realized I was crying. It didn't happen that often anymore, yet there were nights I couldn't control the terrifying images that invaded my dreams at night. The trend being they were always at their worst while he was away.

Fidgeting with the comforter I fought the urge to call him. I didn't want to damper his night. His mood always so high after a show. He was probably still on stage, I thought. Not really sure with the time difference. For the hell of it, I grabbed my phone and opened the clock. Switching the screen to show the world clocks, I told me it was 10pm in the States. The urge to call him becoming harder to resist as I knew he was most likely off stage. As if a sign, my phone buzzed. The little banner dropping from the top to showcase my answer.

Twitter
@1975hann: Thank you Boston, that was a good one! New York, see you soon xx

Opening my phone, I tapped his name before I could second guess it anymore. It rang twice before it connected.

"Hey babe!" I could hear the smile in his voice. He sounded happy. Whether to be hearing from me or the show I couldn't tell.

"Hey." My voice quiet knowing if I spoke any louder he'd be able to hear I'd been crying and I was still tired. Laying back down, putting the sleek phone between the pillow and my head for minimal effort.

"It's late there, no? Not that I ever mind you calling."  He asked curiously.

"I just wanted to hear your voice." My body feeling warm knowing we were connected even if just through the phone for a few moments.

"Are you sure - hey! Good to see you! Thanks for coming." Someone having caught his attention I just listened to him speak about the show. Excited chatter, I could still hear the smile. My heart yearning to see it. See him. These late night terrors made me vulnerable. I just wanted him close and that couldn't always happen.

"Sorry, it was someone from Interscope." He said to me. I could hear the commotion around him. Clearly I was pulling him away from some sort of celebration.

"If you want to call me tomorrow it's no worry." I tried, as bad as I needed to hear the sound of his voice I didn't want to pull him away. He didn't answer right away.

"Thanks." I heard him softly say to someone in passing , a click, then silence.

"It happened again?" His voice concerned yet knowing. Taking a deep breath, I tried to keep them in but the tears fell anyway. Moving away from the speaker so he wouldn't hear.

"Yea."  I composed myself enough to get out however my voice still cracked. I heard him sigh. My soul crushing knowing he'd spend the rest of the night worrying about me.

"I'm sorry." My voice coming out as tiny as I felt laying in our bed alone.

"No, no, baby don't be sorry. We have a few days off. I'm coming home, okay?" Always trying to come to my aid when this would happen. Before I could tell him not to, he continued talking.

"You can't fool me. I know this isn't the first time it's happened since tour picked up, you always try to not bother me. I've seen how worked up you get and if I can help even for a night, babe, I'm gonna." He knew me too well. The fact he was so spot on made my tears worse. I wouldn't call him until it got really bad which usually was after it had happened for a few nights. He calmed me down. Whenever I fell asleep beside him I was fine. Or even when I knew he was around. It was when he was gone for too long it'd get bad but I couldn't tell him that despite the fact I was sure he knew. It was quiet for a moment until he spoke.

"Babe?" he reached out his voice gentle.

"I'm here." I said, again trying to not let it be known I was crying.

"I will be soon." I didn't have the time to tell him not to as someone from the crew retrieved him. He said a quick good bye and then the call ended. Laying in silence, it felt deafening. The crying had made my eyes tired but my mind was too scared to let me sleep. Too aware of what would happen if I dosed off again. I fought to keep myself awake but my emotions had got the best of me and my eyes fluttered shut.

It felt almost as I immediately shot awake with another jolt. However the light that streamed through the windows told me other wise. More annoyed than anything else I climbed out of bed. It was pointless to try to sleep again so I'd keep myself up for the day. Moving towards the kitchen I was confused as to why I already smelt coffee. My senses must be off from lack of sleep. Rubbing my eyes with a yawn, seeing a figure standing in my kitchen made my pulse spike. Until recognition hit.

"Adam?" I was shocked when I really shouldn't have been. He was a man of his word; always. He said he'd be here and here we was.

"Hey," he smiled softly. Without another word I closed the gap and wrapped my arms around him in a tight embrace.

"C'mon." He said, one arm around me, the other held his coffee as he moved us back towards the bedroom.

"Wait," I tried, wanting coffee myself. He shook his head and kept his grip firm.

"No, this is for me. You need sleep." I need sleep yet he no doubt took a red eye flight to be here this early. He looked just as tired as me.

"Don't look at me like that." He said without looking at me as we went back to the bedroom and he pulled the covers back. Too tired to argue he was right. I did need sleep. Crawling back into bed, he got in too only he was seated up resting against the wall; sipping his coffee. As he put it down next to him I took the opportunity to pull him down to me.

"You need sleep too." I countered, once getting him so he lay beside me I cuddled against him. He sighed comfortable and I knew I was right.

"But what if you wake up." He tried, yet his eyes were already closed. Shaking my head, mine closed too.

"I won't. You're here. You're my charm, love." I moved forward slightly as my head was on his shoulder already, to kiss his neck.

"Hm." Was all he said, his grip tight as we both knocked out.

A/N:
This was just a random idea I had I hope it makes sense. I have a bunch of imagines started and am trying to get them all done. I keep starting and then don't have time to finish but I will update more often I promise. Thanks for sticking round xx