5. New York

A/N : I just wanted to let you know that this story ties into Spider-Man Homecoming in case you didn't know. I'm trying to build up to it, I hope you're enjoying the story :D

      I entered my first class of the day. Ames had just walked me there and had disappeared down the hall. Most of the kids were already settled in their seats, light from the sun poured into the room from the window.

      Some of the students eyed me up and down, typical new girl problems. They watched as I entered the class room and scanned the desks for an empty seat. I wasn't sure how the assigned seats worked, and the teacher hadn't arrived yet so I couldn't ask him.

      "This seat's free" a voice called from behind. A dark haired girl sat towards the front, her manicured finger pointed at a blue seat. I bit my top lip lightly and made my way over there.

"Thanks" I mumbled, setting my bag down on the floor and sitting down.

"No problem" she smiled.

      The late bell rang, and a handful of more students filed into the class room. I leaned my chin against my hand, watching as the clock ticked. Two minutes later, a man stepped into the room. He was probably mid-thirties. He had brown hair that was highlighted with a subtle blonde, and light brown eyes.

     "Hey class, sorry I'm late" he set his school bag down on the desk and brushed some papers out of the way "who knew that traffic could be that bad in a small town" he said in a light tone, some people chuckled. A handful of girls seemed to gush over him the second he smiled. Not that I have a thing for teachers or anything, but he wasn't bad looking "and..." he looked directly at me "It looks like we have a new student with us today".

      Everyone turned in their seats to stare at me. I pressed my lips into a thin line, pretending to be unbothered by their stares, but failed miserably. I feel like someone is about to cry out 'Hey, is that Jessi Stark?!'. The teacher sat down in his seat and intertwined his fingers together on his desk "What is your name?"

      My tongue and lips formed the letter 'J' out of habit, it took every muscle to switch and say my new name "Maddox" I introduced myself, shifting in my seat "Barton"

      "Welcome to U.S History, Maddox. I'm Matthew Westbrook, but you'll just call me Mr. Westbrook. Are you a sophomore, junior?"

      "Sophomore" I nodded, praying that this interview would be over. Thankfully he seemed to sense my discomfort and started to change the subject.

      "Well Maddox, you came at the right time. We were just starting a new Unit" he turned to the white board behind his desk and wrote 3 letters 'WW2'. I almost rolled my eyes. Not to brag, but I know almost everything about the War (I bet you can guess why).

      "It's a long unit, but I promise you all it will be interesting. We will learn about famous battles, outstanding Generals, absolutely insane Generals, the battle strategies that they used, and also War heroes. My personal favorite war Hero is none other than Captain America"

      "Of course it is" I whispered under my breath and placed my elbows on the table. Isn't everyone's favorite Hero Captain America? I saw that one coming. The teacher passed out fill-in-the-blank notes, and instructed while he read from the projector that glowed on the white screen. We had to fill in the notes as he went along, and he went fast.

      Every sentence he said carried great detail and interesting facts. My hand moved at lightning speed to keep up with his pace. But no matter how much I focused on his lecture, a small part of me had to focus on the extremis. If I'm not careful, it could show and that would be bad. With the pressure that I was applying, combined with my growing strength, the middle of the pencil snapped in half, breaking in my hands. My other pencils were buried in my navy backpack. Mr. Westbrook continued, leaving me in the dust.