Chapter 3

Hey guys! Here is chapter 3 for you all! I used some of your suggestions from the previous chapter, so I hope you enjoy this! I'm really enjoying your input in this novella!

Don't forget to vote and comment! I'm enjoying updating daily for you all! 

- Andrea

3.

"Who's going grocery shopping today?" Madison calls out, as she steps into the small dining room.

Carina yawns loudly and takes another bite from her piece of toast, "I thought you and Leigh were..."

I nod, taking another mouthful of porridge and flipping the page of the newspaper I picked up on the doorstep earlier.

"Yeah, I thought it was your turn this week, check the roster."

Madison huffs and pads over to the fridge to check the piece of A4 paper we stuck to it, it's our list of chores and things we have to do each week. We're all on rotation, and while no one likes doing anything on the list, we have to keep our flat in shape, otherwise it will become as disgusting as the flat of boys next door already is.

They threw a party last weekend and still haven't managed to get rid of all the bottles from the event.

They're not exactly the best neighbours.

Flatting is probably one of the things I was most looking forward to this year, however, living with four other girls certainly has its moments.

There's Madison, or as she likes to be called; Maddie. She's a law student.

Then Carina, who's doing a bachelor of fine arts. Leigh, who is a business student and Kasey, who is studying classical music.

My flatmates and I are a bit of a mixed bag, but we all get on well enough, and certainly know each other's boundaries.

If Kasey wants to practice late at night she'll go to the music department at the university, Leigh is only allowed to throw a flat party once every month (even still, we're hoping to reduce this number further), Carina knows to cover the floor in newspaper before she paints anything at all – plus she has to make sure he room doesn't smell of the products she uses to thin out her oil paints.

I just have to make sure I wash my lab coat one a week, the girls think it reeks of chemicals and err, body parts – in a totally non-creepy way.

We all take turns to cook, take out the trash, do the washing, clean the bathroom and go to the supermarket...to name a few.

There's also a few ground rules we set out around boys; They're allowed in the house if they're with the girl who invited them (no one appreciates a random walk in), they're not allowed to eat all of our food, and if you're taking a guy to your bedroom you've got to be respectful to your fellow flatmates!

Honestly, I haven't had to deal with any of the girls doing these things yet, but my room is three doors down from Carina's and I can hear her music as if it was playing out of my own stereo.

There's not much soundproofing in this flat.

But we make do. And so far, I've been enjoying living with these girls.

I finish off my porridge and fold up the paper, walking over to the sink to wash my bowl and spoon.

"You got much on today?" Carina asks.

I shrug, "I have a lab."

"Sounds fun." She replies, "Any cute nerds in it?"

I shrug.