blind date

summary: phil is going on a blind date but gets a little lost
word count: 1157

"this is an awful idea," phil huffed under his breath at pj. the pinkness of his thin face was quite revealing of his exasperation and embarrassment.

pj shook his head in disagreement, his hair falling carelessly over his eyes. "i'm tired of you being lonely every time we go out with our friends. you're the only one not in a relationship."

phil bit his lip harshly to hold back his unhappy response to the growing dispute. instead, he casts a quick glance at the crumpled paper in his hand, studying the written address once more and tossing it. then he looks up to meet pj's eager eyes again regretfully. "are you sure that going on a blind date to a stranger's house is a good idea?"

phil's curly-haired friend rolls his eyes and runs a hand through his caramel hair. "i know the girl, okay? her name is abby, and she's very fun. i'm sure you'll get along wonderfully."

he didn't wait for phil to answer as he pushed him out the front door of their apartment. phil stumbles down the stairs, wrapped up in his doubts, before approaching the parking lot beside the building. he smoothes out his patterned button up shirt and heads off to his car. a voice rings in his ear and warns him of the danger most likely lying ahead. he knows he should trust his friend, but every time he looks into their vibrant green eyes, all he sees is mischief.

phil studies the vibrant sky, lit up by the hastily setting sun and glowing down on the road before him. seated behind the wheel, humming along to his favourite fall out boy song, phil had finally calmed down slightly. he practices smiling a few times before going back to singing along.

best friends, ex friends till the end, better off as lovers, and not the other way around

he shrugs his shoulders to loosen his tight muscles as a few opening lines run through his head. he isn't quite sure how to approach the girl, let alone begin a conversation. phil realised he should've practiced a few conversation topics before he left, but it's too late now.

come hell or high water, when i'm feeling hot and wet, i can't commit to a thing, be it heart or hospital

he pulls into the driveway of a small home, instantly regretting throwing away the paper address. hopefully, he remembered correctly and is at the right place. he slips up to the door and knocks softly. there's no answer so he switches to ringing the doorbell. a few minutes later, the door opens to reveal a young boy, around phil's age. his hair is curly and ruffled, as if he just climbed out of bed.

"can i help you?" they snap at phil grumpily.

phil steps back out of shock before clearing his throat. "sorry, i was looking for abby? i assume that's not you."

the boy raises his eyebrow and almost smiles. "as a matter of fact, i'm not abby. and i'm kind of concerned that you're looking for a girl named abby this late in the evening, especially since you apparently don't know what she looks like."

phil smiles sheepishly in response and sticks his hands in his pockets awkwardly. "yeah, my friend set me up on a blind date, but i kind of forgot the address i was supposed to be going to."

the brown eyed boy giggles lightly, gripping the door frame and leaning into it tiredly. "can't you call your friend to get the address then?"

phil felt the blood rush to his face at the sudden realisation. "oh yeah, thanks. i'll do that right now."

phil fumbles to call pj while the boy watches amusedly. his disrupted slumber is forgotten as he giggles at the flustered stranger in front of him. phil tries to turn on his phone, but it's to no avail. he turns back to the boy with wide blue eyes. "it's just that um, well my phone is dead," he chuckles nervously. "i suppose i'll just head back home."

phil knows that it will be impossible for him to navigate back as they both glance at the darkening sky, before meeting eyes again. "why don't you just use my phone?" the younger boy says, holding up a cell phone of his own.

phil hesitates before blushing again, which has been happening frequently the past few moments. "i don't have his number memorised."

"for fucks sake man," the stranger laughs. "why don't you just come in instead? it's too chilly to just stand about."

phil stares at him in contemplation. he gets a warm vibe from the boy, but he's still scared of being brutally murdered. "sorry i don't really know you and—"

his voice is cut off by the other boy interrupting. "i'm dan, this is my house. i'm 19, and not a serial killer. now will you please come in? i'm freezing my ass off."

phil struggles to make a decision but eventually gives in. he steps inside the home and is enveloped in a blast of warm air. he takes note of the fire burning in the fireplace across the room and glanced at the blankets strewn across the couch. "you have a lovely home," he smiles genuinely.

"yeah thanks," dan smiles, showing off his chipper dimple. "so, what's your name?" he gestures for them to sit on the sofa, while wrapping himself in a blanket.

phil sits beside him, watching the boy's curls glow an amber hue in the fiery light. "oh right, i'm phil. i live about 20 minutes away."

they make no move to continue conversation, and instead just sit in silence. only moments later, dan drifts off, leaning into phil incidentally. phil goes rigid at the sudden touch but feels himself melt under the touch. dan gains consciousness only slightly, mumbling to phil without even opening his eyes. "feel free to stay the night, there's a pair of sweatpants on the counter in the bathroom as well as a couple t-shirts. help yourself," he yawns quietly.

phil doesn't move for fear of waking dan up. instead he watches the younger boy's peaceful features freeze in a pleasant sleep. small breaths escape his rosy lips quietly and phil smiles. he chooses to ignore the rather obvious thought that dan is very trusting and that either of them could potentially murder each other. instead, he plays with the boy's curls, humming to himself as he falls asleep as well. "thanks you," he whispers, shutting his eyes. "i can't wait to get to know you."

to make you think of me, the same way I think of you, this is a love song in my own way, happily ever after below the waist

a/n bang the doldrums is my fucking jam

also; blind date? more like "different fate"