Chapter 41

"Jacob," Hunter spoke slowly when his eyes started growing. "Don't freak out, we don't actually know yet."

Flora turned to see him slowly beginning to panic.

"Hey now love, if someone said that to me I'd be ecstatic. I know you're not used to any of this but it's about time you start being in the right mindset," She walked over and took his hands. She felt them beginning to tremble and wondered why someone who was so fragile received such a precious gift. Obviously, it is for a reason and she had no right to question it. "Allowing those negative thoughts will eat away at your positive ones. What's stressing you out about this?"

Jacob stared into her soulful eyes. He tried listening to her words but he was feeling like a thin layer of ice. If any pressure was applied, he would crumble in seconds.

"I just want to be human," He whispered. "This feels like too much."

Hunter connected his fingers together and studied him. He was holding a lot on his shoulders and he wished that they could share the load.

"Being introduced to our world is the most amazing opportunity you will ever receive," Flora beamed and squeezed his hands. "I understand that you entered it on bad terms," She turned and glared at her grandson. Hunter sighed and glared back. "But we're all here to guide you through it. You are very special and I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but you were never just a human, or if one at all."

Flora let him go and sat down at the table. She helped herself to a biscuit and left her words circling in Jacob's head. Was he never human? His whole body suddenly felt like a chaotic mystery. Hunter's mind was blown up by a series of tense thoughts, all coming from his mate.

He quickly walked over and took his arms.

"Calm down," He whispered. Jacob frowned, he barely heard him. His mind was on fire, how could he have never been a simple human? Where are the explanations and the proof? Why was everyone else so calm about this when he couldn't cope with the simple idea of it? "It's really not that bad. I mean, it is just a theory-"

"It's not that bad?" Jacob frowned. His patience had snapped. "Are you being serious?"

"Yes," Hunter rested a hand on his shoulder but he pushed it away. "Jacob please don't be like this."

"What? Why do you all expect me to be fine? I changed into a wolf today. I shot you with an electric thing and you say it's not that bad? You know how I feel, why do you not care?"

"I do care, that's a little unfair. We don't know what's happening to you so the only thing we can tell you to do is to stay calm and try to get used to it. Don't get angry at me, I'm only trying to help."

"Why do I have to be your mate?" Jacob sighed and rubbed his eyes.

Hunter crossed his arms and stared at him with no emotion.

"Would you rather just forget about it all?" He sounded hurt.

"Yes I would," Jacob snapped and looked around for his shoes. "I would rather think that I was crazy with a voice in my head than be dragged into this," He pulled on his shoes as Hunter watched, not really knowing what to do.

When his mate turned to leave, he grabbed his arm but Jacob tensed and pulled away.

"I have no idea who I am. I have no idea where my life is going and I have no control over anything," Jacob was angry and he couldn't keep it hidden. "Now I have to go home and pretend like everything is fine. Do you know how hard that is?"

"You don't have to go home just yet, not when you're this mad," Jacob's eyes were building up a storm and Hunter didn't like that they were aiming right at him. "Just take a breath, you've been through a lot."