Chosen.

××
Robin
{One hour earlier}

I stared at the picturesque scene in front of me, it was much prettier than I imagined.

'You said this was Shadow's house?' I turned to Vanessa, who only nodded absentmindedly.

Just then, a gentle hum sounded out and the room flashed again, the flowers and stars disappearing into a crisp white.

'Welcome Robin.' A voice said with a hint of humor as the room reverted into it's original state. 'Hope your trip was safe and fun?'

'Um, yeah?' I answered hesitantly, not knowing what to say.

'Code white activated,' the voice droned on and somewhere in the hideout, sirens began to wail.

'Wait, what?' I could feel Barry's stare burning into my back. 'What's going on?'

'I don't know.' I replied emotionlessly as I strode to the table in the center of the room and picked up a file with a frown.

'The files are still empty.' Batman observed, earning a sigh from Canary.

I bit my lip, seriously tired of Shadow's puzzles..

Tossing the file to the desk, I fell into the chair behind it, shutting my eyes to think.

Every time I came here Shadow was always sitting in this chair, buried in paperwork and ink splatters.

I smiled softly, she always said that she was busy yet she always had time for me.

Running a hand through my hair, I drummed my fingers on the table in frustration, my gaze slowly falling to the set of locked drawers across the room, just next to the door.

I narrowed my eyes at it, getting up and walking towards it in suspicion, because it was not there when I entered!

Ignoring Batman, Flash and co, I fiddled with the padlock on the locks, staring at the knob on it and thinking of a combination.

I frowned, twisting the silver dial to the right till it fell on thirteen then I let it go past ninety-nine, twisting it to the left to fourteen then back to ninety-nine. With my heart in my mouth, I took a step back.

I was just guessing though, if it actually opened then I don't think I'd be able to answer the questions Bruce would send my way.

As I had half-expected, it stayed shut. I kicked the set of drawers in anger, rolling my eyes because a part of me wanted it to open. But the pain from the kick only made my mood worse.

I should be able to do this.

I gritted my teeth, about to walk away when I heard the distinct click of an opened padlock.

Staring at the lock in disbelief, I unhooked it from the drawers and slowly turned to face Batman. How do I explain this now!

Thankfully, my dear mentor ignored me and strode to the set of drawers, pulling the first compartment open just as his comm beeped. I watched his jaw clench and knew something was up, still, he didn't say anything and just frowned.

'Are these the files you were looking for?' He turned to the shocked and pale-faced Vanessa.

'Yes.' She said quietly.

I couldn't help but frown. What was wrong with her?

'So what now?' Asking her this, Black Canary walked to her side.

'Now,' Vanessa looked away, her expression guilty. 'The Nightshade will select Gotham's new Divisional leader, then we can search for Shadow with their authorization. . . if they give it.'

I glared at her. 'You can't be serious.' They'll kill her!

She only shook her head. 'Shadow can still fight for the position.'

The lie in her words was evident. How could Shadow fight for something she didn't want?

I stared at Barry, Oliver and Dinah, but they didn't seem to mind the fact that the Nightshade really didn't care about whether Shadow died or not.

'What if there was already a leader appointed by Shadow, what would the Nightshade do?' I asked Vanessa expectantly.

'Even Leader would have a hard time pushing a person planted by Shadow off that seat.' She answered, her face gaining more color as she spoke.

'Do you know anyone?' Vanessa was practically glowing at this point.

I sighed. Knowing that this was coming, I could only brace myself for Bruce's reaction.

'Of course I do.' I said slowly, my eyes falling on Batman then moving back to Vanessa.

'Who is it?' The lady almost rushed to shake the answer out of me.

'Isn't it obvious?' I could only sigh again as her grip crushed my shoulders. 'It's me, Shadow chose me.'

-

Update completed💓