4. Pranks (Part Three)

Chapter Four (Part Three)

-----

Thinking on it, Clara should've known Harriet's pranks would result in something terrible. She just hadn't realized what that terrible thing was.

Three weeks had passed since what the Corden household staff was calling the "bed bug incident," and Harriet was pulling worse and worse pranks on her new stepfamily. When the twins (or more accurately, Edina and a reluctant Estella who'd really just wanted to continue talking to Amelia about doll dresses) had made fun of her for wanting to wear pants instead of dresses, Harriet retaliated by stealing their make-up and putting it all on the horses in the stable.

Her excuse was that the twins had no use for it now unless they were just trying to impress their own reflections. Clara had to grudgingly agree with her. The twins were dressing to their finest almost every day, stating when asked that they must always look good for "potential suitors." They didn't realize that such things as suitors were not present in the village where the Corden family lived. At least not any suitors that Linette would find suitable enough for her two "angels."

That was another thing that became startlingly clear. Linette held little regard for the people of the village nearby, and even less for the maids or the Corden siblings, although for the latter, she was careful not to let it show. Clara had a sneaking suspicion that the only reason Linette hadn't snapped and punished the Corden siblings for Harriet's pranks was that Harriet was too good at getting out of trouble.

Harriet's next prank had been less of a prank and more of an action caused by spite. After a conversation with Edina and Estella that turned to an argument when they started to criticize Harriet's unruly hair, Harriet stole their hats and used them to catch frogs. She'd had no excuses this time, and Clara was starting to get worried.

Harriet had only been caught once, and their stepmother had threatened Harriet with some sort of horrible punishment if she did anything of the sort again. However, Linette didn't know Harriet like Clara did. She didn't know that by threatening her, Linette had ensured that Harriet would cause more trouble.

The only difference would be that it would be aimed at Linette this time. However, Harriet didn't do anything, much to Clara's surprise. At least she didn't think she had, but Clara couldn't help but feel that Harriet's momentary peace would end soon.

The day before, Linette "requested" some tea in the parlor from Mrs. Landon. Clara, Harriet, and Amelia were all present, as were Estella and Edina. Three days before, Linette insisted that Clara and her sisters sit in on the twins' etiquette lessons, so there they all were. Linette had just started the lesson when Mrs. Landon came in with the tea.

Everything was going fine until Mrs. Landon accidentally spilled some of the tea onto Linette's handkerchief. It was just a handkerchief, but Linette acted like Mrs. Landon drowned her favorite cat. She raged and fumed and insulted Mrs. Landon. All three of the Corden sisters watched in barely contained worry and anger, and Clara made a decision. If Harriet tried to prank Linette, Clara wouldn't stop her.

In hindsight, it was a bad decision.

The next day, Linette once again requested tea for all six of them in the parlor. But instead of asking Mrs. Landon to do it, she asked Harriet and Amelia. The two hadn't been gone long before they came back with the pot of tea.

"Stepmother, here is the tea," Harriet said sweetly, smiling innocently up at Linette. "We hope it's how you like it."

"Yes, thank you, dear," Linette said dismissively. "Clara would you please pour the tea?" She asked, and Clara nodded reaching forward to pour the tea for them all. She noted distractedly that the tea was a darker color than usual, but she supposed it might've just been steeped a bit longer.

Clara poured tea for them all, adding the needed milk and sugar to everyone's cups. She was just about to take a drink of her own cup when Harriet kicked her under the table. Turning to her sister, she raised an eyebrow, but all Harriet did was shake her head ever so slightly. Clara put down her teacup, watching in anticipation with her sisters as Linette's teacup got closer and closer to her lips.

Clara had an overwhelming sense of dread as Linette's lips touched the fine china of the teacup. Glancing over at Harriet, she saw a glint in her eyes that she'd never seen before. Clara's eyes darted back to Linette just in time to watch her take a sip of her tea. It took less than a second for her facial expression to turn sour.

"What is this? This isn't tea!" Linette spat, slamming her teacup into its saucer. "What did you do the tea, you wretched girl?" She demanded to Harriet. "What is this?" Her voice was reaching new heights and when Clara looked at Harriet she saw that she was sitting defiantly in her chair, a smug smile on her face.

"It's tea," she answered, nonchalantly. "Mixed with water-downed horse poop." The room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Linette rose from her seat and stalked over towards Harriet, her normally pale skin a bright red.

"You terrible little runt, how dare you? How dare you do this? What made you think you could?" She said, her voice a deadly quiet. In an instant, Linette raised her hand above her, and Clara could see with rising horror exactly her intentions. She watched as the hand wavered for a moment in the air before Clara quickly sprung from her seat. She stood protectively in front of her sister.

"It was me! I gave them the idea!"

------
Like I said in the last part, I changed this to a three part chapter. And just a fair warning, the next chapter isn't pretty. Let's just say that I've yet to figure out how to fix certain things with the plot, so don't be surprised if things are a bit rocky.