Chaptet 43: Saving Oneself

CHAPTER 43:
SAVING ONESELF

           To say that Nikolas was the least lucky person in the entire world was the understatement of the year. He wondered if anything would've been different had he simply accepted the apology of that midget instead of soaking her with water balloon.

What was he talking about? Everything would've been different. He, for example, wouldn't be standing in front of some abandoned hangar next to the port wondering if he's gonna end up being shot or stabbed. Beaten or killed?

His phone began to ring and he sighed, he should've changed it as soon as he realized that it was bringing him misfortune. He might've joked about it and all, but literally every single time that little piece of shit rang, his life moved one step closer to disaster.

Yet, this time he was expecting the call so he was prepared for demise answering it would bring along. Glancing at the caller's ID, it was from Vincent's phone — that's how they called him earlier. They have demanded that he came alone and gave him place and time, with the threat of killing Vincent if he turned to police. But Nikolas and police had a quite troublesome relationship, so he wouldn't have turned to them anyway.

"I'm here," he spoke and instead of getting a response on the other side, he was met with silence. And then, few seconds later, the doors to hangar vegan to rise as he wondered if it could get any more dramatic.

Well, they were people with style if nothing else, his death probably won't be boring. That is, unless they hand him over to Vincent to kill him. He's sure that he'll have to chant word "classic" for the rest of eternity as he burned in hell.

Not even bothering to gulp or sweat, Nikolas expectantly stepped forward before entering the enormous place. He wondered in what kind of state was he going to see Vincent? If those people really were mafia, then there were countless possibilities.

He won't lie, he's seen or done some nasty shit past few years. When mafia would bring someone to secluded place such as this, it never smelled good — those kind of places were there for two things: business and torture. There was no in-between.

Well, some brats just loved to occupy one and act like mafia there as well, but that's something else. They couldn't really be considered mafia, no matter how much they tried to look like one. Simply pulling pranks and vandalising things were signs of brat's bad education and rebellion, not of something like Nik's men do.

As he glanced from his right to his left to see a rather large number of people, some he even recognised as Numbers, his suspicion that something troublesome was brewing in their city only rised.

Numbers couldn't have pulled that shit alone and rescued Snake, so could it be that it were those Russians that pulled the strings from the very start? The force that backed them up?

But why would the mafia from another continent and state even bother trying to aid some small fries such as Numbers all the way in London, anyway? Too many questions he probably won't ever get answers to if he gets killed now.

The way those people followed his every movement from the shadows — another thing that Nikolas wasn't too happy about was that the place lacked light, and if it wasn't enough that he was blind, this really hit the sore spot — was really starting to piss him off. He felt like the caged animal, surrounded by audience as they stalked his every move like hawks, watching him like some kind of a rare attraction. And to think that he would ever end up in that kind of situation, and willingly walk in — just what has his life gone to.

Well, midget will be more than happy to be rid of him if nothing else — once she regains her memories. In the end, he never found out what was her connection to the Numbers.