Chapter Fifteen

Korra's POV

It's been two weeks since I left the cabin and came back home. After we went back to my house, Asami left in a hurry, even though she told me she was going with Bolin and I to the police station. She was flustered and seemed confused, saying her stomach was hurting. I was worried and wanted to go with her, but she insisted, saying she didn't want to get me sick too. I felt suspicious, but ignored the feeling. I knew my best friend would never lie to me. 

Bolin and I got in to his car and headed straight to the police station. I had a feeling my mother would be there waiting. I felt anxious, of course but I also wanted to set things straight with her. She wanted to leave this town, this city. But now that my father is jail, she can't do it alone. She has to take me with her. She's desperate to. 

As Bolin and I parked in front of the police station, a feeling of guilt came over me. It was the guilt I should've felt when I left my mother behind. When I pushed her on the ground. Standing in front of the police station, made me realise the high chance of seeing my mother again. Seeing that disappointment again. My hands began to tremble involuntarily. 

"Are you okay?" Bolin shifted his gaze from my hands to my eyes. "We don't have to do this today." He reassured.

"I do." I place my hand on his arm to comfort him. "It's okay."

He gave me a small smile before we both faced the front of the police station. With a deep sigh, I walked up to the entrance with Bolin. We strolled towards the office of the captain that took me in the first time. We were about to enter the room, when I heard my mother's voice. I stopped and blocked Bolin's way and we hid behind the door to listen in on their heated conversation.

"Are you sure, you can't to anything about this?" My mother asked the captain, her tone full of impatience.

"No." The captain said bluntly. "You can't take Korra out of town, not until the case is still undergoing and we're expecting a trial against her father. After all, she is the only witness." 

"I can't stay in this town any longer."

"Well unfortunately Ma'am, you have no choice."

A loud thud came from our direction, causing both the captain and my mother to turn to us. Feeling a bit guilty, I shifted my gaze on the floor, while the captain gives us a minute by leaving the room. Bolin grips my shoulder tightly, before leaving me together with my mother. I entered the room as my mother stared at the window beside her, not giving a single glance to me. 

"Mother." I said monotonously.

"Korra." She respond coldly.

"I'm sorry." She turns her gaze to me. "For pushing you that night." I continue.

She returns her absentminded gaze towards the window, gazing upon the flock of seagulls flying by. She was ignoring me, again. Ever since they divorced, my mother had been ignoring me. I felt confused and annoyed. I couldn't understand her resentment towards me.

As if possessed, I decided to let the emotions take over. "Why do you hate me mother?" I asked with evident spite in my voice.

"That's none of your concern." She answered mechanically, as if running on programmed answers.

"Yes it is." I retaliated. "I'm your daughter. Did you forget that?" 

She remained still, not a hint of emotion present on her ageing face. I wondered how she could stay so silent and unaffected at the  desperate pleads of her own child. Bu then I remembered her profession. A successful lawyer. She's treating me like her clients. She's treating me as if I was a prosecuted criminal, and she was a knowing prosecutor.