Chapter 37: The Ashes After the Fire

I feel like crying, guys. This is it. This is the end of this book.

I'll post an author's note here soon, maybe today or tomorrow on what my plans for the future will be.

I would like to thank each and every one of you for being with me on this crazy journey. I've been working on this book for three years (not consistently might I add) and it's finally over. Thank you for the comments and the votes (53k reads and 2k votes!! Insane!) and for helping me with something when I needed it.

This chapter is super long because I had so much I wanted to get out. I hope you enjoy.

Lots of love,

~Caruscus

------------------------------------------------------

Two weeks and Mary finally discharges me from the infirmary. I'm going to have the cast on for another two weeks, and my ribs won't heal for at least three, but everything else is good enough for me to move out of the hospital wing. I don't complain at the restrictions she gives me, simply happy that I can get out and move.

Since I've been awake I've had multiple visits from people in Dauntless. Justin, Cameron, Jack and his friends all made sure to check up on me. Tris and Tobias have been in everyday, fretting over me and scolding my rash decisions. I just laughed and was happy that they were worried in the first place.

Christina was an absolute mess. Apparently they found the missing patrol group in the same area that I was being held. Will suffered no more than a broken nose with a nasty bump on his head, but he still stayed in the infirmary overnight when he got back just to be safe. Christina rushed in as soon as she heard he was back, sobbing uncontrollably.

Then when she came to see me, I was still unconscious at the time. Eric had to tell her to leave when she got close to having a panic attack, and Mary got her some tea. That much stress wasn't good for neither her nor the baby. When I woke up she was one of the first ones to see me, thanking me over and over again for helping find Will. I tried to explain to her that it was just dumb luck they were in the same area I was being held, but she wouldn't have any of it. She kept going on about how if I hadn't been taken there, then they most likely would have killed Will. I just hugged her and told her everything would be okay.

I was moved to my apartment via wheelchair. Even though I hated riding in the thing, I did realize that there was no way I would have been able to make the journey, even with taking the elevator. Tobias and Tris helped me make the transition. Eric would have been there but there was a fight in the Pit that he had to break up, and then deal with the people who started it.

Serenity makes sure to come in with Ange every time she shows up at my apartment. She always has to sit on the bed or couch with me--depending on where I'm currently located. Ange must have told her that I was hurt, because she's always very careful for a three-year old when she's around me. Sometimes she gets restless when her mother and I talk, though, so I had Tris bring me a pack of markers for her to decorate my cast with. She squealed when she found out she could draw on the white plaster.

Christina and Tris try to keep me company throughout the days. With Christina now in her 4th month of pregnancy, her belly is starting to show more and I can see that Will is loving it. Christina works part-time at the tattoo parlor, and seems to be thoroughly enjoying it. Sam, the guy who gave me the option of designing my own tattoo when I first got here is her boss. He takes it easy with her, knowing that as she gets bigger it'll be harder for her to work. I may have also asked him to be gentle with her work load.

After the girls leave, I'm usually by myself for a couple hours. They can't be here all the time, and if they were I'm sure it would get boring. During the time I have alone I clean up what I can, trying my best not to bump or move anything wrong. Sometimes when I take a breath my ribs ache, and I have to sit down for a few minutes. It's long and it sucks.