Chapter 15

Once the banquet was over people began to leave one by one. Through out it mother didn't speak to father much. Sometimes the other would say something and in return the other person would give an appropriate response.

From my point of view they didn't seem like they really loved each other but they didn't look like they hated each other. I guess it was something like a political marriage, although it would've been good if there were some love...

After a while me and mother soon left. As mother left the banquet hall a man appeared from the shadows all I can say was that he was good looking.

Something was off, for some reason there was a feeling of unease in the pit of my stomach.

Looking at the man, my mother
showed an expression I'd never had seen before. It was of sorrow and yearning.

I could feel that she was shaking. The arms in which she held me loosened, fearing that she might drop me I grabbed her arms and clenched it as hard as I could hoping to wake her up from her stupor.

Mother you were about to drop moi! Waking up from her trance she continued to look at him.

She croaked a little as she said his name "Min He....." I could tell in her eyes she cared about this man there was longing and effection in her eyes. There was something going on.

Slightly bowing he greeted mother and quickly excused himself as he had to go meet the emperor.

As he passed us, I stared intently at him. But with just a glimpse I saw many things.

When he walked away I noticed he turned his eyes away from mother, his eye brows were furrowed and if you looked closely at his hands that were mostly covered by his clothes you could tell he was tightly clenching his fist.

As he walked past mother, mother's eyes slowly turned red, it looked.... In pain. The emotions in her eyes, even if it was a just a flicker it told something.It showed a hurt I have never seen on her. Her eyes began to water with sadness, yet not daring to fall out. couldn't do anything, I couldn't do anything except helplessly stare at her. But she was a strong woman not turning back she gathered up her senses and strode back to my room.

There were servants who were behind mother but, what happened a little before they pretended they didn't see a thing, shutting their mouth and just continued to walk behind mother.

When we went back to my room mother told everyone to leave except one older maid,I could tell she was very restless.

"Why and how long...Till that man leaves?"Said mother with an emotionless tone. Sitting with me in her arms she asked the maid.

"Niangniang he will be departing after he talks with the emperor.He was to send an important letter to the emperor."

(*Niangniang:queen,empress,
imperial concubine)

"Is that so....You may leave now."

After the servant left mother just sat with me in her arms as she looked at the setting sun.It was a very beautiful scenery.

"It's been 8 years....." She quietly mumbled to herself as her murky eyes seemed to be lost in thoughts.

Looking at her fleeting distant eyes that was set on the scenery  mother looked really fragile unlike the usual strong her that I had seen.

"Maa..."I slowly called out to mother.

Looking at me, she was slightly shocked. After a while of silent eye contact, tears started to form in her eyes and she suddenly hugged me. A slight sobbing sound was heard.

It was a long day, mother stayed for most of the night.But when it was morning she wasn't there, I didn't exactly remember when she left.