1. Chapter 14

The rain was pouring calmly as the friends stood underneath the entrance of the subway, the cover being the only separation from getting wet.

After a long period of silence inside the subway, (Name) had decided that she will be first to go, as she would like to have her last forgotten memory to be one with everyone remembering her. No exceptions.

So here they were, shivering as they stared out at the shimmering pavement. The stones looked incredibly slippery, and (Name) jokingly hoped that if there was one thing she would remember, aside from her best friend, it would be to mind her step.

"I guess I should monologue about life and living it to the fullest right now..." (Name) said, tears were building up in her eyes; she bit back a sob. "But I honestly can't remember what I was going to say." Her words waned and she laughed bitterly. She looked at the familiar faces behind her, their expressions saddened and gloomy in the dark of the rain storm.

Queenie was the first to step forward to hug (Name). Tears were streaming down both of their faces and, even though (Name) wished she had gotten to know the Goldstein sisters better, the bond they had already gained was enough to satisfy them. Queenie stiffened and turned her head to her sister. "There has to be another way, I mean, she's a squib and so she must be an exception, right Tina?" Tina looked at her sorrowfully and shook her head.

"That's not how our rules work here, unfortunately." Queenie sighed and pulled away from (Name), a teary grin filled her features.

"Don't you forget about us too much, then, will you (Nickname)?" (Name) gasped out a smile and nodded her head, before hugging the strawberry-blonde sister once more.

"Don't you cry, doll." Jacob was next, he was grasping onto Queenie's hand. "Y'know, I was- I was never even supposed to be here." Tears began filling his eyes and he tried desperately to blink them away. "I was never supposed to know any of this. Everybody knows Newt kept me around because-" He paused. "Hey- Newt, why did you keep me around?" Newt looked away from (Name) and to Jacob. He picked his words carefully, but he still said why;

"Because I like you. Because you're my friend and I'll never forget how you helped me, Jacob."

"Oh!" Jacob hastily covered his face, desperately trying to wipe the tears that spilled and the emotion that overcame his features. He turned away from the group and started walking down the steps. But before he left completely, he placed a firm hand on (Name)'s shoulder, mustered up the brightest smile he could manage, and a loud sob escaped his lips. (Name) giggled slightly at him as he left, Queenie following after him.

Tina and Newt were left, and Tina, deciding it best she left the pair alone, went next. She hugged (Name); it was a short but loving hug, and it expressed a lot in the little time. Tina pulled away, and wiped the stray tears off her face before smiling at (Name). "Do something great with the vast opportunities you have out there, okay? I want to read about you in the papers." More tears flowed down both of theirs faces as a last hug was shared, and Tina said goodbye, leaving the pair of old friends.

Newt didn't move from where he stood. He was looking at the floor, thinking about what to say- what to do. However, (Name) moved forward and brought the lanky man into a hug. He didn't hesitate to hug back, but after what felt like an eternity later, he did hesitate to let go. He looked up into (Name)'s eyes and placed a hand on her cheek. She leaned into it and sighed sadly, relishing in the last few moments.

"(Name)... I... I need you to trust me—"

"I always do."

(Name) stepped backwards out into the rain. She closed her eyes and raised her head, letting her pinked cheeks soak up the water. The cold shivered down her spine, and the grief disappeared. She felt as thoughts left her mind, dripping down her face with the rain. She felt the memories slowly be stripped away. She felt-

She felt...

Warmth...

The same warmth that comes with love...

She dare not open her eyes, but she felt it...

She felt something soft against the corner of her lips, and something flare inside the deepest part of her heart.

And then she felt nothing.
~~~