Lane Frost: A legend never dies

Lane Frost was a World Champion Bull Rider killed in Cheyenne, Wyoming in 1989 while

competing in the popular "Cheyenne Frontier Days" Rodeo.

After a successful 8-second ride, Lane dismounted from the bull. The bull quickly pivoted,

came up behind Lane and hit him twice, before Lane even had a chance to completely stand

up from his dismount. The second time the bull hit him with his horn, breaking Lane's ribs,

which severed a main artery. Lane died within moments.

Lane was born on October 12, 1963 in La Junta, Co. His home was in Utah, but his mother,

Elsie, was staying with her parents while Lane's father, Clyde, competed in the rodeo circuits.

He has an older sister, Robin, and a younger brother, Cody.

He was raised in Lapoint and Vernal Utah until 1978 when his family moved to Lane, Oklahoma.

(The name of the town was a coincidence.)

Lane competed in rodeo events almost all of his life, starting in 1974 with the "Little Buckaroos

Rodeos" held in Utah.

He lived in Lane, Ok. until 1985 when he married Kellie and moved to Quanah, Texas.

He still spent a lot of time in Lane, and taught bull-riding schools there.

Lane was a Christian. The family was disappointed this was not shown in the movie "8 Seconds".

2 of his many career highlights were winning the 1987 World Championship in Bull

Riding, and being the only bull rider to ever ride the famous bull Red Rock for 8 seconds.

Lane's funeral service was held at First Baptist Church in Atoka, Ok.

He is buried at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Hugo, Ok.

"Once you met Lane", it was said, "you were his friend forever."

Rodeo Accomplishments

Lane's first awards were when he was 10, won in the "Little Buckaroos" Rodeo in Utah.

He was first in bareback, (on a bucking Shetland Pony), second in

calf roping, and rode a bucking calf to place third in "bull-riding".

1978 Bull Riding Champion of the "Small Fry Rodeo Association".

1980 Bull Riding Champion of the "Oklahoma Youth Rodeo Association"

Bull Riding Runner-up Champion of the "National High School Rodeo Association."

1981 Bull Riding Champion of the "Oklahoma Youth Rodeo Association"

Bull Riding Champion of the "National High School Rodeo Association".

1982 Graduated from high school, retained the Bull Riding Championship for the

3rd year in a row of the "Oklahoma Youth Rodeo Association"

Bull Riding Champion of the "American Junior Rodeo Association"

Bull Riding Champion of the "First Annual Youth Nationals Finals".

1983 Received full membership to the "Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association",

(PRCA). Finished 16th in the bull riding standings.

Named "Rookie-of-the-Year" Runner-up for bull riding in the PRCA.