Chapter 55

NABEEL'S POV

I don't know what ran through my head that made me clutch Maariah's hand. She just looked so vulnerable and broken that I felt the burning instinct to protect her. Husna just stared at us in shock, and sadness flickered across her face. I could see that she still loved me, and I thought I loved her too. That's what happens after you get married, right? You fall in love. We would.

Maariah and I seated ourselves on two chairs next to each other. I let go of her hand reluctantly and then the staring women transferred their disapproval from their eyes to their mouth.

"Oh, so you two are in a relationship?"

"When is that baby due,"

"Don't you think you're enough of a disgrace without being all lovey-dovey with your cousin's husband?" an auntie snapped at Maariah.

"Don't you know how to keep quiet sometimes?" I snapped back.

"Nabeel!"

The chorus of my name startled me and brought me back to reality. I had just said that to an older woman. There was no way I could get out of this now.

"So, can we have the story clearly from the beginning, Nabeel? Maariah isn't in a fit state to talk. I want background too," my father said.

"When we were younger, Maariah and I knew each other as friends. We had feelings for each other, but then we stopped talking," I made sure to leave out the nasty details. "Then, when Maariah found out about Husna and I, she naturally was disappointed. She thought that we had a future together. She thought that someday we'd be married, and Husna had destroyed her dream. She tried to hide it, but then it became unbearable and she blurted it out. Husna did not sympathise at all."

"I..." Husna began, but I pressed a finger to her lips.

"Then, on Husna's engagement night, Maariah drugged me and made me disillusioned so that we could have some time alone. I didn't know, and we hugged for a little, which is all Maariah wanted. Still, I don't know what happened, and I don't know if it was the drug's fault, but I tried to make moves on her. She asked me to stop but after a while she couldn't resist. She found out that she was pregnant recently, and I believe that I should be a responsible father. I need to take care of the baby. It's not the baby's fault," I said.

"Husna, do you have anything to say?" my father asked.

"I...I...love... him," Husna sobbed.

"Husna, after everything that he did, he isn't very regretful is he? I don't think I approve of boys like that," her mother said.

"Okay, so I think my final verdict is that Husna doesn't get married to Nabeel. I don't want my son in law to have an illegitimate child and be so irresponsible," Husna's father said, to which Husna burst into a fit of sobs.

"Abba! No! I love him! I love him! Please!" she whispered the "I love him" but we could all hear it. My heart skipped a beat. This was the woman I was meant to marry. I could imagine looking into her deep brown eyes, and seeing the future. Our future. I needed Husna. My fingers let go of Maariah's hands and I moved towards Husna. Everyone watched as I pressed my fingers against her cheekbones. I traced her jawline. I touched her hairline and slipped my hand down her neck.

For that time, it was just Husna and I. The woman of my dreams was in front of me. She was loyal, beautiful and Deeni. She would take me further in life. The moment was broken by the furious voice of my father.

"LET GO OF HER AT ONCE!" he commanded.

I turned back to the crowd of people, only to realise that I stood between the biggest choice of my life. Maariah or Husna. I could beg for Husna or resort to Maariah. Maariah hadn't earned my love. Husna had. Yet Maariah had revealed my love and she loved me too.

The question was not who, but how?

----------
Author's Note

Assalamualaikum

I'm so so so so sorry for how long it's been. I'll try harder now. It's getting okay right?