Chapter 5

"So, have you decided what coffee you'd like?"

"Um... I'll have a latte," Leanne says, still eyeing the menu. Just as the guy that's standing next to us is about to take it from her hands, she opens it again. "No, wait, I have Sociology to study for later, I'll have an espresso."

I look up from my phone – the screen of it still being locked – at the waiter that's been standing by our table for about two minutes. I'm sure he deals with these kind of people every day, the ones who can't decide what coffee they want, but I'm still a little embarrassed that this had to be someone I'm with.

"Yeah, an espresso. Thanks," She smiles at the guy and I'm relieved, for a second; she stops him as soon as his hand touches the colorful piece of paper. Well fuck me.

"Actually..." She narrows her eyes, glancing at me for a second. "I'll have a latte. I'll get an energy drink for Sociology."

Like he cares about your damned Sociology.

"You sure?" The waiter asks and I can't help but snort, a little bitterly.

"Yeah, a latte. Definitely. Thank you."

"No, thank you," He says, and only an idiot wouldn't be able to notice how relieved he is to leave our table.

Does that mean I just called Leanne an idiot?

"I like this place," She says, looking around, apparently genuinely interested in the little coffee shop. "We should come here more often."

Since I was lacking time today, I took her to the nearest café to my faculty building. And now I'm starting to regret taking her to more expensive ones around Chicago before – since she hasn't been as fascinated about others as she is about this one.

"Yeah, that'd be great." I decide to ignore my thoughts; something I've been doing since we first spoke today. "I mean, school is near and everything."

"It's a little far from mine, but that's alright," Leanne smiles and starts picking at her nails. I look outside the window to my right, not exactly knowing how to reply to that; I mean, should I offer to pay for her taxies or something?

"So..." I sit up and look in front of myself at the table, "How much do you have to study for Sociology?"

"Oh, not much, in fact." Really? She kept the guy around for two minutes for not much? "A few lectures for next week."

"Next week?" I raise my eyebrows, finally looking at her, "Why would you want to study- nevermind."

"No," She says, a frown appearing on her face, but as well as an amused smile, "What were you going to say?"

"Um..." I trail off, my lips parted as she leans on the table, still looking at me. "I mean... why'd you want to study something that's for next week... on a Monday? This week?"

She shrugs, and sits back in her seat, "I like to be organized, you know?"

I nod; that's a good thing, right? "Cool."

"What about you?" She looks down at her lap, "Do you have something to study for?"

"Nah, I'm just getting ready for our date." And the award for the lamest answer in the history of humans goes to...

Leanne doesn't think so though; she's smiling – she's trying to hide it, but it's too late now – and when she realizes there's no point in hiding it, looks down at her lap again. I can tell she doesn't think I'm lame; she might even find my dumb reply cute. I mean, she's a girl, that's normal.