Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

The next three days passed by agonizingly slow. Everyone was still talking about the incident in the canteen. But when Friday rolled by, everything seemed to die down since, unsurprisingly there was new gossip spreading around. I think it was the first time I was grateful for it. I hated to be the center of all attention; I hated hearing the blatant whispers wherever I went. 

I was walking down the hallway to my first lesson of the day- Math’s. I know most people would be dreading it but I loved Math’s. It was the only logical lesson as everything had an answer. No opinions. It sounded completely nerdy but it was true. It was a subject that I'd have to work hard for and so I didn't have to think about anything other than the numbers. It kept my mind off other things. 

I had already sat the exam a few months ago and gained the full marks that I worked so hard for; thankfully I was going to leave school with an awesome grade. But that now meant I had to sit in class going through the same work for the exam that no one else has sat so I wasn’t learning anything new. Again, I sounded like a complete nerd. 

Taking a seat at the back, I took out my own advanced Math book I had brought myself. It goes higher than what the rest of the class was learning. I started on my notes straight away before the teacher had even entered the classroom.  I could see from the open door that people were still milling around outside the classroom but the students began to settle in as Mr. Stride finally entered.

Once he had explained through the topic they were studying today, he gave questions for everyone to do while I carried on with my work. The class groaned and I just rolled my eyes. Seriously, it was school, what did they expect? I was at the point where I just needed a little help on one of the question. As I was just about to ask I heard, “Rose, can I have a word outside please?” from Mr. Stride.

I looked up from my books and gave him a questioning look. I racked my brains for something I done wrong but came up with nothing. But looking at the reassuring smile on his face I came to the conclusion that this may be about something else. But I couldn't stop myself from feeling a little nervous as I followed him outside the classroom with a hint of curiosity. He closed the door behind him effectively blocking the nosy students from listening in.

“Is everything ok Sir?” I asked, feeling a bit apprehensive. I never get called out, ever. This was a first and I really didn't need anymore trouble to enter my life. I didn't think I deserved even more weight on my shoulders.

“Of course Rose, you’re not in trouble!” he exclaimed reassuringly. His big smile was starting to freak me out. He was a good guy though. He was tall and extremely thin, but nice nonetheless. Though the grinning needed to dim down. I briefly wondered if his hollow cheeks were going to fall off with the smiling.

“Then what do you want to talk about?” I asked confused.

“Ah right. Well, since you have aced the Mathematics exam and you’re sitting in my class not learning anything new, the department and I have decided to move you to the Advance Mathematics course. We know you are more than capable to do excellent there,” he clasped his hands together enthusiastically.

Wow. Okay so I was so not expecting that. I was so shocked I didn't even notice him clapping like a retarded seal. I didn't think they'd ever let me into the advanced area, it was somewhere I always wanted to be but for some reason, the teachers never really noticed me.