Chapter 4

Kora

Kora

I walked up the stairs lazily. It was roughly five hours since I left the house angrily, and I could have sworn I didn't lose track of time. If I had my way, I'd have loved to spend the rest of the night where I was, with him, with Luke. Being in that house, reminded me of how much I hated it there, how much I didn't belong there.

I opened the door leading to my room and closed it quickly, drawing a deep breath as I turned inside. I almost fell from shock the moment I saw my mother sitting in my chair, with her face mask on, glaring at me with her hands folded beneath her breasts.

"Where are you coming from?"

She asked me as I finally got past my shock and hurried to my bed, pretending like I hadn't heard what she said.

"I was out." I told her. "With Luke."

"Was that why you didn't pick any of my calls?"

I could feel her eyes on me as I threw my sweater on my bed. I honestly wasn't up for the conversation she was starting to have. I heard her exhale loudly the moment she noticed I wasn't paying her enough attention.

"I got you a new laptop." I took a quick glance at the desk just to make sure she wasn't playing me. I don't know why I did, I didn't even know if I cared for anything at that point. I could see the sealed Mac book pro on my desk. "You don't need that old and outdated one anymore anyway. I know you always held on to the old one because you saved for it and bought it yourself without asking for help from anyone but you don't need it anymore. It's high time you changed."

"How were you able to afford it?" I threw myself on my bed, pretending not to care. "Did your sugar daddy buy that?"

"No, I bought it." She told me. "I have savings."

"Of course you do." I scoffed after I whispered those words.

I know you're probably wondering how my relationship with my mother is. You're probably wondering if I talk to her this way all the time, well, the answer is yes.

Since I never grew up with a father, my mother became everything to me. A father, a mother and my best friend. I had grown so used to telling her how I felt when I felt like it. We had that kind of a relationship since she never really minded.

"You must have saved a lot all those years haven't you?"

Now I was referring to the fact that we never really stayed in a place all my life. Even though my mother used to work as a waitress at a club, she managed to find her way to the top gradually, marrying every rich man that came her way and made her promises to make her a queen and me a princess, and then divorcing them the moment it stopped working out. If I'm correct, I've had about four different step fathers before this one and I always wondered why this really horrible marriage hadn't crashed yet. I'd give anything to see it fail just like all of her previous marriages, because I hated it here. I hated it just as much as I've hated everything else.