Chapter XVIII

The days had gone by too fast for my liking and before I knew it, it was the Sunday before the O.W.L’s and to be honest I was freaking out. On the plus side, we’d figured out how to make the map and it was actually working.

‘Enough of this.’ I said with a sigh as I closed my History of Magic book. ‘I don’t even want to hear the word Goblin Rebellion ever again!’

‘Goblin Rebellion!’ Sirius and James called at the same time.

‘Jerks.’ I told them. I sighed again before I leaned back until I was flat on my back. I put my head on Sirius’ leg and closed my eyes as he stroked my hair. ‘I’m nervous about the O.W.L’s.’ I muttered.

‘You have nothing to worry about. You’ve studied a lot and you’re smart. You’ll be fine.’

‘Thanks.’ I muttered.

‘You know what will help you control those nerves?’ Sirius asked cheekily.

I opened one eye to look at him. ‘What…?’ I asked him cautiously, slightly afraid he was going to suggest drugs or alcohol. You never knew what was going on inside their minds.

‘Get you chocolate ice-cream from the kitchens.’ I sat up straight immediately and Remus’ head had also snapped up at the mention of chocolate. But then I remembered that it was only three o’clock and that we would get caught in a second and I sighed.

James, as though he was reading my thoughts, got the map out. I looked at the map as he spoke the words I had come to love a lot in only a few days. ‘I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.’ Before our eyes the plain, empty piece of parchment changed into a map. ‘No teachers in sight, want to make a run for it?’ We all shared a few looks before getting up and racing up to the castle. Except for Peter who yelled, ‘I thought we weren’t going to risk it!’ before following us. After a few minutes of running through the corridors and up and off the staircases, occasionally apologizing to other students we ran into, we came to a hold in front of the fruit painting which covered the entrance to the kitchens. I quickly glanced behind me before tickling the pear, which squirmed away to reveal a handle, and opened the door. We were immediately met by house elves who were more than happy to give us food. In other words, chocolate for Remus, cheese, cake and cookies for Peter (like he wasn’t fat enough already), and ice cream for me, Sirius and James. Weirdly enough they still found it necessary to steal mine. It didn’t lead to me yelling at them at all. Of course not! How could you even think of such a strang- okay I did. It went quite a lot like this:

*Steals food*

‘GET LOST POTTER!’ I turned around to hit him before turning back just in time to see Sirius steal another spoon full of cold creamy goodness. Normal people call it Ice cream, but then again, I’ve never been normal.

‘GO AWAY BLACK! Don’t be a homeless guy!’

‘Remus is the homeless one.’

Remus looked up questioningly.

‘What are you talking about Sirius? I’m not homeless…’

‘YET!’ James and Sirius yelled at the same time.

‘What the hell are you talking about! I’ve never been homeless!’ Remus was getting agitated.

‘Of course you have.’

He was obviously getting quite pissed. ‘You’re not even making sense!’

‘One day in the future,’ Sirius started seriously. HAHAAHAAHAHAH SIRIUS IS SERIOUS! Oh, I’m so awesomely mature. Maturity is overrated. Just as sanity. Sanity is definitely overrated. I’m overrate- Wait! What? No! I’m not overrated! Sorry, got lost in my thoughts again.

‘You’ll live on the street.’ James finished in the same tone.

‘You know,’ I said absentmindedly. ‘I think Remus would be a great teacher. Can you imagine? Professor Lupin. Sounds alright to me.’ Remus blushed.

‘I was thinking of becoming a teacher after I’ve finished school.’ He admitted honestly. ‘What’re you guys thinking of?’ He asked trying to draw the attention away from himself.

‘Dunno?’ James said. ‘I’m going to marry Lily, that’s for sure.’

‘James! For goodness sake! Doesn’t she have the agree with you before you start making wedding plans?’

‘That’s a second.’ He said waving it away. ‘What about you Padfoot?’

‘Get disowned, as fast as possible. Possibly, mentally harm or/ and disable, probably not kill I’ve been told not to-‘

‘Snape and Bellatrix?’ Remus asked.’

‘Yeah, isn’t it always?’ he smiled mischievously.

‘You’re gonna go to prison for murder one day, I just know it.’ James said gleefully.

‘Yeah. I know.Peter?’

‘I have no idea…’ He said quietly, looking quite scared. Oh well, that was his normal face. ‘Faith? He quickly asked.

I smiled. ‘I want to be a healer, or journalist, possibly a writer.’ I said dreamily. ‘Mostly healer though. I want to help people.’

‘That’s nice.’ Remus said.

‘That’s my girl.’ Sirius said while wrapping an arm around my shoulder and kissing my cheek. I pushed him away but I was still laughing.

‘Kiss up.’ I said while rolling my eyes.

‘Am not!’

‘Are too!’

‘Do you two have to do this every single time?’ Remus asked.

‘Yes. Definitely.’ We said.

‘What time is it?’ James asked me and I checked the pocket watch that hung around my neck. Yes I’ve got a pocket watch around my neck. Cause that’s what all the cool people have, like me and Faith. Yes I just referred to myself in third person. You jelly? I bet you are. No? Not? Oh well…

‘Ten past five.’ I told him. ‘Why?’

‘I want to ask out -‘

‘Lily.’ We finished. ‘She won’t say yes.’ I sang.

‘Of course Lily, who else? And she will eventually. One day we will get married and live a long and happy life.’ He told me pointedly as he got up and took one look at the map before leaving the kitchen.