Chapter Twenty One

I hope you lovelies enjoy!!!

Chapter Twenty One

I was proven right once again. It was a long day already, and it was far from over.

Each interview was conducted in the room; however, when interviewed, we were taken to the opposite end of the room and turned so that we could not make eye contact with one another.

The council had begun by questioning Shaterria, the easiest of us all. She was not there, so she did not have much to tell. It was when we arrived that they were interested in, attacking her with question after question. Once finished, she was told to leave before they began questioning Sage.

He handled each one cooly with the same reserved look, giving away nothing. He did not rush his answers nor hesitate. He did not grow angry at their accusations towards the King but answered just as he had with the question before.

I was next. They questioned my every whereabout and my every answer. However, this was not a first time for me so I did not give in to their redundancy. I answered with the shortest answer, keeping my replies simple. When finished, I could see Council Member Warren's face etched with annoyance, satisfying me. He wasn't receiving what he wanted, which was clear evidence indicating that the King was guilty.

Next was the King's questioning. This was done differently, the council members returning to their seats while I sat beside the King. I was told not to make eye contact with him and the table had been moved so that I could not sway the King with gestures or touches.

"Provide a detailed account of your whereabouts the last day of the previous week," Council Member Warren said, his eyes watching King Sandalius. But occasionally they would flicker to me with suspicion when I moved the slightest.

"I woke and prepared for our weekly walk throughout the forest. I met with the others, speaking to Shaterria about possible messages that would be sent to the castle. We then left her and I took the lead, Rowan and Sage following behind.

I could smell that something was wrong so I continued in that direction and found the body there. Rowan and Sage took me back, and I remained in my room with Rowan for the evening."

"And what appeared to have done this to the man?" Scribbling.

"It appeared to have been done by a predator." There was a pause.

"Such as a wolf?" Warren was quick to jump on this.

"Yes, such as a wolf," the King said, pulling the words out reluctantly. He had already begun tensing, taking offense to the indirect accusation.

"And you have the ability to transform into a wolf at will. Is this correct?" Warren asked, the others watching intently. One held a pen in his hand, scribbling every word down.

"Yes." This was kept short as he was instructed; however, I could hear a hint of hostility laced within the single word. It seemed the councilmen did not notice, as they continued on without fear.

"We were informed that you left the castle several times without supervision of your guard and Rowan, who you have brought here to make you less of a beast. Is this true?" This was asked with a bit of malice, something the King caught onto.

His eyes had flickered at Warren's tone, but he did not allow it to sway him so easily. "Yes, this is true."

Council Member Warren almost seemed excited as he asked the next question. "Can you tell us what you recall from the last time you left the castle alone and when it occurred in relevance to the murder?"

The King hesitated before answering. "I last left the castle two days before I found the body. I cannot recall what happened during this time."

Warren leaned back in his chair at this, seeming to believe he was now in the lead. "If you cannot recall what happened, then tell us what you do remember. Do you remember anything odd when you gained your awareness?"