1.7 | A New Side Of Ian

Sapphire

"I'm really sorry, sweetie." My dad's saddened voice comes out of my laptop speakers, his eyebrows furrowed as his face takes up the screen. "You know I want to be there with you more than anything, but I couldn't get a plane ticket on time."

I force a smile onto my face, "It's okay, dad."

"It's not, and we both know that." He sees right through my lie. "I had promised to be there for your birthday, and I failed you. I'm truly, deeply sorry."

"Don't worry about it." I genuinely say. He has enough to worry about with his job, I'm not gonna let him stress over my birthday. "I was gonna hang out with my friends anyway. They planned out a day for me."

He smiles, seeming a little relieved. "I'll make it up to you once I get back, alright? Happy birthday again, sweetie. I love you."

"I love you, too, dad."

He hangs up the call and I sigh deeply, shutting my laptop and placing it on the nightstand.

I look up when I notice Ian leaning against my doorframe, a plate in one hand and his other hand behind his back. With a proud grin, he walks towards me and sets the plate down on my lap. My eyes scan the contents and I can't help but to smile wide. It's a stack of pancakes with the words 'happy birthday' written with sliced strawberries and bananas as the letters.

Impressed, I look up at him. "How long did this take?"

"A while, but that's not important," he dismisses. "Do you like it?"

I nod, grinning from ear to ear. This instantly lifted my mood. It's such a thoughtful gesture, one he didn't even have to do.

"I love it, thank you."

The hand that was behind his back reaches forward and I watch as he sprays whipped cream in the middle, popping a candle in place. He then lights it and sings 'Happy Birthday' to me.

I just sit there awkwardly as he does so.

Once the song ends, I wish for a fun birthday since I won't be with my dad, blowing out the single candle once the wish is settled. Ian beams happily before running out of my room, a bit too giddy, if I may add.

He walks in a few moments later, a luxe white box with sapphire blue roses in his hands. My eyes widen and I set down the plate to look up at him in shock.

"Ian, you shouldn't have." I gape at the expensive box of flowers when he hands it over to me.

He shrugs, "I wanted to."

"This is the sweetest gesture anyone's ever done for me. Thank you so much." I set the box down on the bed before standing up to wrap my arms around his torso, resting my cheek against his chest. "You don't know how happy you just made me."

"Well, I did wish you a happy birthday." He laughs softly, wrapping his arms around me. "I'm glad you liked it ... Sorry about yesterday, by the way."

I pull away to give him a puzzled look, "What about yesterday?"

"The couch?" He offers, but I need him to do better than that, so I let him continue. "When I almost kissed you. I don't want you to feel like a rebound, because you're not. Our deal is to kiss at school, and I crossed the line. I'm apologizing for that."

I wave him off, sitting back down to dig into the pancakes. "Don't worry about it. If it was bothering me, I would've pushed you off. Trust me."

He sighs in relief as he sits beside me, "Thank goodness, I didn't want things to get weird between us."