Chapter Sixteen

This is such a beautiful banner! Thank you so much EbbaMilvum for sending this in for me (:

If you would like to send your banners in, my email is open! Midika36@gmail.com

It is also open to banners for Fate!

Word Count: 1750

~Alaya

Asher matches my blank stare for a moment.

"Sinful," I breathe, testing the name on my tongue. "Who in the world is Sinful, and why do I have to kill him?"

Asher takes a moment to reply. He seems to forming a proper answer in his mind, as he looks out past the cliff edge at the lights in the distance. I'm nervous for what he is about to say. From the way Death said Sinful's name with such disdain earlier, I don't see how I, of all people, could do this. Especially since I'm only an average mortal who got resurrected from the dead.

"Remember, I never wanted you to. I wasn't the one who brought you here," Asher tells me uneasily, clearly wary of my reaction. "However, I have an idea of where you could fit into our plan, and make a difference."

"You called him a devil. I don't think I would make a difference at all," I tell him honestly. I don't mention at the end how I don't want to help him either.

Asher sighs before he says, "I wouldn't call him a good person. But he wouldn't do anything bad to you, I can promise you that. If you decide to agree to our plan, I believe he would be too interested in you to hurt you, if that would make you feel better.

I feel my eyes narrow unintentionally. Interested in me?

"How can you be so sure? Have you not seen Death's face when he was mentioned? Whoever he may be...no one has given me a very good explanation," I tell him, my tone more spiteful than anything. He's not the one I should be angry at. It's Aspen and the rest of them for dragging me here in the first place.

"I can't explain what he is like. I don't think I would do you justice, since everyone sees him from a different perspective," Asher tells me, adding, "he's tricky like that."

I sigh deeply, more frustrated than anything.

"You can't expect me to be okay with this if you're not going to tell me anything, I never asked for this-"

He cuts me off, raising his hand. He's cringing, either irritated or distressed. I'm tempting to walk away from the situation, but I have nowhere to go. The door that took me here seemed to have vanished into nowhere when I first came through it, which I assume is magic. I also assume magic is everywhere in this place.

"Sinful and I have been working together for a few years now. It has been a way to gain his trust, for a moment where someone could come in and...distract him. All the while, the rest of them can work on the plan without him having complete reign over the lands," Asher explains.

"And what exactly is your plan?" I question.

Asher shrugs loosly, and I scowl as he says, "the problem is, if you agree, you'll will be walking straight into Sinful's territory with the plan in your mind. As a mortal, you wouldn't be strong enough to handle his mind games. If you don't know, yout can't tell him."

I understand. He doesn't trust me, and honestly, I don't trust myself much either. Especially with the description of Sinful that I have been given.

"You're telling me that I'm going to waltz straight into someone's territory to do who knows what?" I say, mainly to make sense of it from my head. "And what is the alternative? Go back to the Pack Quarter into a different Pack with no memories. To never see my family and friends again?"