Chapter 36 - Checkmate

"He's coming?" you asked, almost jumping into Jin's arms at the news. "You mean he's really coming?"

Jin laughed. "Yes. In one week. Which means we'll throw a grand ball for his arrival."

You don't know what you were more excited about – your father finally coming, or the fact that you were winning at this game of chess.

"A ball? Like, a real ball?"

He nodded. "But there's a catch."

You moved your knight while Jin hesitated.

"And?" you asked.

"You father wants you to make your decision on the day of the ball."

Your mouth and heart dropped at the same time. "All ready? But I haven't even –"

You stopped yourself, not wanting to say anything that would hurt Jin. Part of the decision included deciding whether or not you were going to marry him. You didn't think you would say yes, but you weren't ready to reject him yet either.

"You don't have to decide right now, my dear." Jin said, as if he could read your mind. "And whatever you decide, I'm behind you a hundred percent."

He smiled.

"Thanks, Jin. I appreciate that. Especially since I'm about to win."

You moved your rook.

"Checkmate."

A heartbeat passed before Jin realized what had happened. He burst into a smile and clapped his hands.

"That's the first time anyone has ever beat me! That's amazing! You're good, you know that?"

You blushed at his praise. He leaned back in his chair, resting his elbow on the arm and grinning.

"You're an incredible woman, [Y/N]." he said. "Truly. I wish I had met you sooner. Everything felt so stale before you got here. Now life feels... richer."

You smiled. "I'm happy I met you too, Jin. Actually, I have something for you."

"For me?"

You pulled out a leather corded necklace with a silver pendant of a lion on it.

"Where did you get this?" he asked.

"I made it."

He looked at you in surprise. "When did you have time to do this?"

"I've spent a lot of time in my room the last couple weeks, remember?"

He traced his fingers over the cord and pendant. Unclasping it, he pulled it around his neck.

"It looks good on you," you said, smiling. "I'm glad."

His thumb circled around the pendant as he looked at it. "Why did you do this for me?"

You shrugged. "You've always been nice to me. You let me stay in your home and took time to teach me everything you know. You even took poison for me. The least I can do is a silly necklace."

He said nothing for a moment, then stood from his chair. You shifted as he dropped to one knee next to you and looked up into your eyes.

"It's not silly." he said seriously. "Not to me. I want you to know that I've been honored to have you as my guest, honored to have you as a friend, and if you decide to marry me... I'll be honored to have you as my wife."

You held your breath as he picked up your hand and kissed your knuckle. He stood and left the room without another word.

Wait... did Jin... want to marry you?