Chapter 14

Just as a preface, my dwarves live longer than the ones that Tolkien thought up. So everything that he originally thought up belongs to him and Peter Jackson who made the movies, but the ages and some of the traditions are my own which I have created bits and pieces of other peoples interpretations. So, please don't harp on me if you come across something that is not exactly accurate to what Tolkien depicted.

T.A. 2845

The bright golden light sparkled and snapped around the hand that seemed to shine from. It moved like a mist, and yet it had a body, being able to take the forms of different things. It flickered like a flame, eating up the energy that it was given like water to the dry ground. It seemed to have an energy all it's own, bright, protective, healing.

"So, you just have to believe in it, pull it from deep within yourself, and then it's just there," the musical voice directed, the golden light twisting and turning around their hand and up their arm.

"I've been able to do some of that, but do you know what you personally are able to do with this light? This power?"

"I'm not entirely sure," Mariam said, the golden light receding back into her hand like it had never been there, "But I think there is the possibility that is could do a lot of healing. It seems to be connected to the life around us, nature, and all living things."

"Quite fascinating, I'll have to give it a try sometime," Thennil chuckled, looking down at the shorter girl, who was still practically a child compared to her mother's people. She had given her all the knowledge she could about this gift, and found that she herself possessed something similar, though it was not as strong as it was in Mariam.

"I don't think that you should use it to often, or a lot, it could be draining, and that would be bad, especially if you are in the middle of a battle," the child speculated, turning aside to look at one of the many flowers that grew among the gardens of Imladris.

She had grown since they had come to the hidden valley, blooming in ways that even her mother had not known were possible. She had grown taller, taller than her father, which had surprised her mother, though not quite as tall as an elf was. Rather she was close to the height of a shorter woman among the race of man or a very, very tall dwarf. She had progressed when it came to her mother's language, having only spoken the Common tongue, Kuzdul with her father, and a few words of Sindarin when she felt inclined. Here in the valley her studies had increased, and she took on many languages, even learning some of the words that the yrch used, though Thennil tried to prevent that as much as possible. She had also convinced the Twins to teach her archery, fencing, and hand to hand combat as she put it, all within the matter of a few years. Now, she was one of the most accomplished fighters of Imladris, even though she was considered a child. She had never been out on a patrol, no matter how much she begged Glorfindel and Thennil, her mother had stated that she would only be allowed once she had succeeded in beating both of the Twin and one or two of the other guards that she hung around. She had yet to best the Twins, but had taken down two of her friends among the young warriors, using very unorthodox means, but doing it none the less. She had become very good at improvising. She had indeed grown, if her father had been around, he would not have hesitated to keep her locked up in her room. She had turned into quite the beautiful young woman.

She had taken after her mother with her golden hair, looking quite like a fountain of the metal poured down her thin body like a fountain. It's texture was silky smooth, but with dream like waves that fell down over her shoulders easily. Her emerald green eyes sparked with mischief and joy, much like her father's once had. She was pale like her mother, though took after her father in regards to working up a heathy glow of red on her cheeks when she worked hard at something. She had become skilled with her hands, not just welding weapons, but weaving cloth and sewing beautiful clothes. She was known for her unconventional style, her tunics being layered and falling almost to mid-calf, but being loose enough to enable her to move swiftly when she was on the training field. Her companions called her Pen lhûg, or little dragon, so fiery was her spirit when they egged her on. She was quite entertaining, and many times the ellyns decided to gather at the field even after they were done to see the sparring that happened when Elladan or Elrohir, and even Thennil would sometimes participate in with her, just for fun.