Chapter Two

Eight years later

“Hey miss Overstreet, the paper on the Billing’s case arrived and I put them on your desk. Do you need anything else?” my assistant Luna asked as we both made our way to my office. For an intern she was really good.

Still I couldn’t get used to the fact of having an assistant at my beck and call. I mean I was in her shoes a few years ago at a law firm, not knowing what the hell I was doing. But Luna was pretty small and strong, even if she does look like a blond bimbo who didn’t belong.

“Thank you Luna, I’ll call you if I need anything,” I said as I closed my office doors behind me and headed to my desk. It was piled with paper work and files that need to be sorted out, it was all my dad’s fault. He just had to get re-married and go on a honeymoon, leaving me with all the work.

Apparently I was his second in command… second in command my ass, he just knew I wouldn’t let the family business fall part. Because really this is my life being a junior partner at my dad’s law firm, the most prestigious law firm in California.

I really need to get a life.

“Miss Overstreet, there’s a client here to see you,” Luna’s voice echoed through the intercom.

I pressed the button to answer her, “send them in please,” I said as I tried to fix my hair a bit. I really should have taken a shower before coming here.

I heard the door open and I tall man step in, he closed the door behind them and looked at me. Those eyes were breath-taking and very familiar. And it all hit me at once; I was staring in the eyes of Hayden  Bell.

“Sara?” he asked as he came closer to me.

“Hayden, wow it’s been a long time,” I said as I came to stand in front of him. He grinned down at me and my heart started beating. How could he still make my knees weak after all these years?

“Too long, you look… amazing,” he pulled me in for a hug and I took in his mescaline sent.

“You don’t look bad yourself,” I smiled back at him.

He looked hot in his black suit, he still had the same hair style; but it was shorter. He also was sporting a five o’clock shadow, which only added to his appeal.

“What are you doing here?” I asked as I resumed my seat. He took the seat in front of the desk and relaxed.

“I was actually here looking for your dad, he was supposed to take my case,” he stated.

“You’re married?” I exclaimed; I realized how I sounded and cleared my voice. You’re a professional!  Act like one!

“Well I’m actually here to get a divorce,” he gave me a tight smile before leaning back in his chair again.

“Unfortunately my dad is going to be away for a while, so you’re stuck with me,”

“Okay that sounds good, when can we start?” he asked.

“If you can give me some background information; like names, your financial state, and do you have any children?” I asked as I took out a pen and a paper and waited for him to answer.

“Her name is Tory Merry; we got married 5 years ago. I’ll get you the financial stuff later and I have a 4 year old son, named Chris,” he said that all in one breath and then looked at me with sadness in his eyes.

“Chris? As in your best friend Chris?” he nodded his head. I felt my heart tighten at the mention of Chris’s name. Chris died in the war six years ago. After he graduated he enlisted in the army, but before he did any of that he proposed to Belle.

I remember when the phone call came of Chris’s death, she was devastated. We all feel apart, but as people we learn how to move on. And now belle’s married with two children and a husband that loves her.

“Yeah, I wanted to honor him in a way, I guess.” I couldn’t speak for a while.

“So why are you getting a divorce?” I asked trying to change the subject.

“I guess we just couldn’t stand to be with each other anymore, the only reason we got married was because she was pregnant. The fact is we never really loved each other,” he glanced at me and our eyes just locked.

“Okay I’ll contact her lawyer and set up a meeting,” I grabbed one of my contact cards from the desk and gave it to him “call me if you need anything,”

“Thank you Sara,” he said as he started to get up, I followed his suite and headed with him to the door.

He turned around and flashed me a smile. “I’ll see you later counselor,” he winked at me before he opened the door and left.

I took a deep breath because really I was on a slippery slope. That crush I thought I got rid of just appeared again.

*********************************************************************

 Check out my New Story "Wanted"... it's a drama/romance/teen-fic kinda story. (not a cliche)

I know it's short , but Tell me what you guys think :D

Vote and Comment :D