S.O.S

I wake up when the boat slams into something, throwing me into Coal. We fall off the couch and to the ground. I pull my hand off his chest and start to stand.

    “What the-“ Coal says but then we’re hurled to the side, smacking the wall.

    “Good morning,” I say sarcastically, trying to hide my fear, and push myself to my feet, helping Coal up.

The boat creaks ominously. We dash up the stairs. The boat shudders again and freezing water is sprayed in my face as a wave crashes over the deck. The entire boat is tilted on its side, pushed up against some rocks by the surf. Another wave slams into the side and I hear cracking noises as the rocks break through the hull. The weather has gone from good to horrid. I can barely see anything until flashes of lightning break the sky apart.

    “Where is everybody?” I ask Coal, then the boat rocks again and I slide to the rail, the cold metal slamming into my back, paralyzing me for a second with shock.

I yelp as I fall through the bars and then I’m barely hanging on to the slippery rungs. I’m guessing the others are already in the water. I just hope they’re not in the foaming mess below me now that will crush anything against the rocks.

    “Hang on!” Coal shouts over the thunder, like I have a choice.

I feel his rough hand grab mine but then the boat jerks down bumpily and we both fall off, me completely, and Coal still with one arm over the rail. I dangle uselessly above the roaring water, trying to clamber up back onto the boat, scared out of my mind. Coal can’t pull himself up with the constant shuddering of the boat, much less with me. On impulse, I loosen my hold on him.

    “Do. Not. Let. Go.” He says to me, gripping my hand harder, as if that could stop me if I really wanted to drop. “Don’t you dare let go. Give me your other hand.”

I’m not paying attention. Desperately, I rack my brain for a way out. The power, the force of the water is too much to handle, and the booming cracks of thunder are shaking my focus. But...

If I can control a little part of the waves, just enough to keep us from being crushed…

    “Tide!” Coal shouts and I look at him. “Give me your other hand. Now.”

    “You need to let go.” I tell him.

    “What?

    “Trust me. Just let go, I’ll take care the rest.”

    “This isn’t Finding Nemo, Flippers.”

    “I’m aware of that,” I snap, “I have the situation under control.”

Coal grimaces, but nods, and I brace myself for the fall. The boat shifts and we start to plummet to the ocean.

The cold water submerges me in a mass of foamy whiteness, clouding my vision. I feel the current start to sweep me away into the rocks, but I tighten my hold on Coal’s hand and concentrate, trying to keep still against the swells.

Slowly, much too slowly for my liking, an air bubble forms in front of us, growing bigger until it engulfs me and I yank Coal in. The sensation is like being inside a giant hamster ball. I have to push occasionally against the current, but it steadies itself often enough.

    “Can you tell me next time you’re going to do something like that?” Coal gasps out. I forgot he can’t breathe underwater. My bad. “Like when you’re about to go completely insane for example.”

    “We made it,” I breathe out in amazement. “We’re alive.”

I spoke too soon. I hear a muffled groaning noise and then my shriek is drowned out as the boat collides into the bubble, popping it and sending water cascading in, and Coal and me spinning apart. I feel a whirlpool pulling at my feet, trying to drag me down with the boat. I kick my legs, lungs burning, then I remember I can breathe. Sucking in a breath, I swim blindly around, searching for Coal. I can barely see through the murk, but finally his figure emerges out of the disturbed clouds of sand.

I rush over to him, bubbles streaming out of my mouth. I have to get him above the water. Making another air pocket will take too long. Like a bullet, I drag him up. We reach the surface, popping our heads up and gasping for air. A wave breaks right on top of us, and I’m shoved back down into the black water. When I paddle my way up again, my head is spinning.

    “Coal?” I shout, but my voice is a whisper compared to the noise of the storm. “Coal!” I’m screaming now. The salt rubs at my throat, and my shrieks rasp from inside me.

I can’t see. A flash of lightning will illuminate things for a second, and then the brightness will make spots dance in front of my eyes. Suddenly, I feel like I’m floating, being lifted from the freezing water.

Caelum. It can’t be. But it has to be.

I thrash around, fighting with everything I have left. My foot connects with something -something stiff- and it jerks back. Then I’m spontaneously dropped onto something solid, and hard. I look around blearily, soaking wet. I’m ready to try and leap up and attack, but I pause.

It’s not Caelum.

I can see that I’m on a boat, a white-ish grey one, and someone hopping around on one leg, clutching their knee and swearing. The boat rocks violently and I sprawl to the side, getting smashed up against some life jackets. Strong hands lift me up, and I stumble a bit, but soon get my bearings. I can see a woman, and the person cursing like a wimp is a guy in his twenties. Someone has to be manning the helm, and I see outlines of at least two other people rushing around the rigging.

    “Where’s Coal?” I ask frantically.

I can’t see him. He has to be in the water. I have to get him. Running to the railing, I try to leap off to find him but at the last second I’m grabbed and hauled back onto the deck.

I struggle against the arms gripped tightly around me, hoarsely shouting, “Where is he?”

    “Here,” I recognize the voice and immediately relax. “I’m right here, calm down.”

Slowly, as if he’s not sure I’m going to stay on the boat, Coal lets me go. I’m hyperventilating, though not because of the water. My brain isn’t working right to move just yet, so I stay leaning on Coal, making sure he’s real.

    “It’s okay,” Coal says soothingly, steadying me with a hand on my shoulder.

    “Does she always do this?” I hear someone ask irritably. “Try to kill herself? Or is she just stupid?”

    “Well,” I cough under my breath. “I’m a freak with strange powers who’s been in more deadly situations than you. What’s your excuse?”

    “Alright, you’re fine.” Coal says, laughing quietly, and helps me up.

    “Who are you?” I croak at the people staring at me.

The guy steps forward importantly, ignoring the woman’s warnings behind him. “We’re with the government.”

Instantly, I get into a defensive stance and the waves leap over the sides, the deck flooding with ocean water, sweeping the crew off their feet. The water around their feet freeze and the rest drains back out into the waves. I keep some in front of me though, ready for anything.

    “Well that’s a shame, because I don’t really like the government,” I reply coldly, watching the guy try to break the ice crawling up his legs.

    “Told you,” the woman says, glaring at the man.