Chapter 13: Honesty

Alex's POV
"I am excited for this merger, Mr. Demakis. My company and I, will do our best not to disappoint you, Sir," Mr. Ryan Robertsons proclaimed as he shot to his feet when I stood up, signaling the end of this meeting.

His lips twitched into somewhat smile, though he tried to hold back his eagerness for the positive result of this meeting, his face betrayed him.

He shot out his hand, and I took it, then shook it briefly.

"I expect no less," I replied in a neutral tone, meeting the old man's dark green eyes with cold, intent gaze before dropping his hand.

I intend to finish the meeting for less than an hour, but Mr. Robertsons fought back 7 percent control of the world's container-shipping trade, but I could only afford to give 5 percent. After almost two hours talking sense into him, he conceded.

Hanoujin Shipping lines was one of the biggest rival of the Demakis' shipping lines since 2000. This merger will provide relief to the major challenge in the shipping industry, characterized by over capacity. Since building new ships which was the old model of growth — through acquiring new capacity— is not working any longer. Consolidation is one of the options to heal the horrible market, perhaps the step towards digitization and a better online customer experience as it enables the larger carriers to drive this industry transformation together.

Mr. Robertson tipped his head once more, then at his secretary.

Relief flooded through me.

I couldn't wait to go back at Clara Bell's. It's half past five, and I promised her to be back early.

As soon as the man turned his back with his secretary in tow, I collected the papers that was lying on the table next to the plates with still untouched food. I stashed it inside the briefcase then gave it to Langdon who was already at my side.

He disappeared as soon as he knew I don't need his presence. I pulled my wallet out of my pocket and pulled a few hundred bills and placed it on the table. My eyes landed on the appetizers. A few pieces of small salmon with red caviar.

My phone rang just as I was about to pick one piece. I pulled it out of my pocket and saw it was my sister Sasha.

I frowned as I connected the call. Sasha never called me.

"Hello," I said as I sat back on the chair, then grabbed one of the mouth watering food and popped it in my mouth.

"Hello, my favorite bro!" she cried out, and my brows darted together in a scowl.

Something is not good.

"What do you need, Sasha?" I asked without preamble.

She laughed over the line. "How do you know I need something?" she said in her sweet, sweet tone she always used to dad, and which always works with dad.

"Do you have a third eye? Can you see the future now?" she teased playfully, and I swiped my palm across my forehead in frustration as I groaned.

"Spill it!" I hissed.

She let out a sigh. "Alright," she giggled. "Mom told dad to cut my allowance!" she shrieked, losing all the sweetness coated her tone seconds ago.

I massaged my temple. Sasha Beth turning almost 27 in few months has no stable career, lived with an allowance from dad, papou, and giagia, but recently giagia and papou finally ceded to mom's pleading to stop spoiling her.

Mom never tolerated the career she chose to take. A drag racer, but dad loves her too much. He supported her all the way, until now, that's why my sister was very irresponsible. She'd been in too many accidents, almost cause mom a heart attack, too many times.