Chapter Twenty Three

Chapter Twenty Two

Jackson Blake's POV

Jackson Blake's POV

Why me? For the past few weeks, it's all I've contemplated. Perhaps life is starting to catch up with me and I'm starting to realise how fucking weird my life has become. I suppose it's because I haven't been in Slater's suffocating presence since our moment in the shower. Although he's avoiding me like the plague, I did want to give him space. Time heals I've been told. Some people just need to live in their thoughts for a while before they acknowledge and accept what's happening around them. I wouldn't put it past the fact that being back in Scotland hadn't helped. He'd put us on a jet once he'd dressed from his events in the shower and there wasn't room for negotiating.

It was uncomfortable walking back through those doors, it might have been from the countless stares, but I couldn't deny my mind wouldn't let go of the events I witnessed the last time I was here. Images of Slater bending that woman over his desk flooring my mind.

The castle has more people in it. Not just the servants and maids, but hundreds and hundreds of people. I'd discovered that not far from the castle gates there are communities of wolves. They're mostly where Slater's warriors and guard force reside when they're off duty. So it was strange, seeing guards line the entrance and the grounds, all dressed in black with cold expressions. There are also packs visiting from all over the world. There's a new pack arriving every few days, wanting to visit their king and discuss business and finances. It was all complicated. I still wasn't quite sure the way things worked.

I learnt that Slater had put a ban on the castle when I arrived the first time. No packs or members of his guard force could enter the premises and those who could were forbidden from discussing the celebration or the fact I was Slater's mate. If he could, he'd keep the restrictions on for longer but unfortunately that wasn't a possibility for him. It would arouse too many suspicions and would make the rumours and gossip flame to an untameable level. So inevitably he's had to allow people back in.

The ceremony made things amongst the castle interesting. Some of the maids knew who I was, that I was crowned and titled the Sigma King, but they were all forbidden to discuss it. They weren't to address me by my title, they weren't to treat me as Slater's equal.

The ceremony was just an obligation. It forced Slater to out himself but only to a select few. If the choice was Slater's the ceremony would have never have happened. The Luna Goddess is the decider of the crown and by her will, I was the King's mate, meaning the choice to give me the crown, to give me my title, was out of his hands. Not even the King can disobey the will of the Goddess.

Reflecting on the events of the ceremony, it was like puzzle pieces that now fit together. There was only a small selection of Alphas and their mates and I'd since learnt that there were hundreds of Alphas all over the country. He'd only invited the most powerful, the ones that would cause him the most problems if they didn't accept his mate. He wanted to know which Alphas would question his leadership if he mated a man. The debate of whether there would be a successor to the throne hot in the air as I couldn't provide children.