five - ex

noel

School is in 10 minutes and I'm dreading the three minute walk I take every day. I went to bed in a bad mood and I woke up in a bad mood. How peachy is that?

"Noel, do you need money for lunch today," my mom asked as she stepped a foot into my room while in the process of putting an earring in.

"Uh, no. I think I got it. Thanks, mom," I replied. She nodded her head with a smile and walked back into the hallway.

"Oh, El, how do I look," my dad asked, stepping into the door frame.

"Handsome as always, dad. You got a meeting today or something," I asked him. He always asks me how he looks on days he has meetings or special events at work.

"Yeah, gotta look the part," he said, as he turned around and jogged down the stairs.

I decided to wear a pair of black leggings and a batman tank top. School rules say I'm not supposed to wear either of those, but fuck it. I grabbed my coat off the edge of my bed and rushed down stairs to put my shoes on.

When my dad opened the front door to leave, he stopped and turned around to face me.

"What," I breathed.

"Carl's here for you," my dad said just before he walked out the door, got in his car, and drove to work. I rolled my eyes at the thought of even having to see Carl today. I stormed over to the front door and stood in the doorway.

"What do you want," I asked, frustration in my voice.

"To walk to school like we always do," he chuckled. He still had that cocky smirk painted on his face. Did he forget about yesterday?

Oh, my God! I almost forgot about Tucker.

"No thanks, I'm good," I sighed as I began to close the door but he stomped his foot in the doorway.

"I can protect you-" I stopped him mid sentence.

"Already have somebody," I instantly regretted what I said. Carl's turned into a frown. He furrowed his eyebrows at me.

"Like a boyfriend," he asked in an almost angry manner.

"Yup, just like a boyfriend," I lied. Right when I said that Tucker came walking up the steps. "Hey, Tuck."

"Uh, hey," he said, looking at Carl and Nick.

"Ready to go," I asked, putting a toothy smile on my face.

"Y-Yeah, let's go," he sent me an awkward smile as I grabbed my bookbag off the coat rack and slid past Carl. Then, Tucker and I started our three minute walk to school.

"Hold up, is he your boyfriend," Carl half yelled, stopping us both in our tracks.

"No, Tucker isn't my boyfriend. He's my bestfriend," I yelled back. He looked hurt by my words. Honestly, though, I don't really care.

"Who the hell was that," Tucker whispered in my ear as we continued to walk to school.

"That was Carl," I whispered back.

"That was Carl? I thought he was white," he asked in a joking manner.

"He is," I laughed.

•••

Carl and Nick followed us the whole way. They kept a few feet apart from us. I could tell Carl was a little salty from what I said. The guilt started to kick in a little bit, but I couldn't let that get to me.