Question 15: When to start posting a story

Dorkly_Anonymous asks: Should I finish my entire book first, or is working in bits and pieces okay? (In regards to uploading to Wattpad?)

There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

Posting after story is finished

PROS:

1. You can change the story as needed anytime you like, and it won't disrupt any readers.

2. You can polish your work better before making it public, thus making a better first impression.

3. You can adhere to a reliable posting schedule because it's already finished. No stress.

CONS:

1. You won't have anything to post for a long time while you write.

2. No motivating comments from readers as you progress.

Posting pieces as you write them

PROS:

1. Readers can offer input as your story progresses.

2. Reader comments can be motivating.

3. You'll have things to post sooner rather than later.

CONS:

1. It's MUCH harder to stick to a solid posting schedule, because the thing just isn't finished, and sometimes you won't feel like writing, or won't have time.

2. The work will be a first draft, which is always shoddier than later drafts. Good writing attracts readers. Poor writing repels them.

3. A story often morphs as it goes along, and sometimes you'll have to go back and change elements in earlier chapters to accommodate. This will confuse readers if they are in the middle of your story.

My recommendation is to finish the story first, then start posting it once it's done. Many Wattpadders don't like this method because they are motivated by reader comments. However, in my opinion, hardcore writers are motivated from within. They feel the story brewing inside them, and they feel compelled to write it whether they have an audience or not. If you have it in you to finish the story first, then that's what I suggest you do.