Chapter Thirty: Trivial

~ She's got a smile, and it sing to me... ~

Chapter Thirty: Trivial

I felt a shift beneath me, causing a dissatisfied noise to pull from my sleepy mouth. The movement stopped again, causing me to smile vaguely, cuddling back into what my tired mind knew was Max's warm chest. I settled, letting my body drift again.

He moved again, and I made a noise of slight annoyance. Max took my arms and tugged me apart from his body, moving me beside him. "C'mon," he murmured to himself, finally managing to separate our bodies. He slid out from beneath me, sitting up fully and tucking my arm back beside me. My eyes opened slowly, feeling myself sigh quietly at Max.

"Close those pretty green eyes again, baby," Max murmured. "Go back to sleep."

I glanced behind me at the alarm clock, seeing it was one in the morning. I groaned quietly, looking back at Max and sighing again, huffing to myself in my sleepy state. Max just smiled through the dark, tracing his hand along my stomach.

"C'mon, lovely," he whispered. "You knew I had to get up this early to be on set by two."

I frowned. "That doesn't mean I have to like the idea of you leaving," I mumbled flatly, curling into my pillow. Mayella slowly padded up to lay beside me, where Max had been only a minute or two before, taking his place under the covers. He smiled gently, his fingers still caressing my body as he bit his lip.

"There," he said, nodding at the dog, his voice a small whisper. "Ella can take my place. Once I leave, Storm will lay with you too."

I rolled my eyes. "As much as I love our animals, they can't hold me like you can."

Max frowned slowly at my statement, and I instantly felt bad. "Sorry," I murmured. "I didn't mean to make you feel guilty."

Max shook his head lightly. "It's alright, cutie," he whispered. "I don't wanna leave you either; but I'll be back in a few hours, probably before you even wake up again. I'll love on you then."

I nodded slightly, sleepiness wearing on my body. Max leaned over and kissed my forehead, rubbing my back. "I love you," he said. "I'll come tell you goodbye again before I leave."

I cuddled into my pillow, closing my eyes and feeling Max tucking my covers back around my body. "I love you too, Max," I mumbled, feeling his fingers running through my hair now. I managed to drift again for a little while, before I felt my boyfriend return to my side, setting the cat beside the dog and kissing my forehead again.

"I'll be back soon, my sweet Symphony," he promised, tucking me in again. I mumbled some vague response that made him chuckle, his hand squeezing my shoulder lightly as he leaned over to lightly pet the dog. I nodded sleepily, mumbling a quiet goodbye as Max slowly disappeared from the room, my mind drifting away again.

It was still early in the morning, had to have been seven, when I felt the bed shift again. I was still on my side with the animals curled into my stomach, when I felt a dip at my back. The noises were soft and ginger, and taking a deep breath told me it was my boyfriend, the scent of his body wash wafting through the air, making me smile sleepily. He eased himself into bed behind me, under the covers, trying not to disturb my slumber, although it was disturbed the instant I felt him beside me. He spooned my body against his, my back to his chest, his arms around my waist as he sighed, comforting himself.

"Welcome back," I whispered. He jumped, before relaxing, holding me tighter.

"I didn't mean to wake you up," he whispered. "Go back to sleep."

I giggled blearily, turning in his arms and pressing my face into his neck. Max chuckled tiredly, holding me closer. "Atta girl," he breathed, kissing my forehead. "Early set calls are such a bitch."