Chapter 23

Nico's POV

Breakfast has gone pretty much how it always goes so far, Xander talking aimlessly about something that I absolutely couldn't care less about and acting as innocent as ever.

Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out if there was a way my fork could somehow make its way into his thigh while still making it look like an accident.

I could still smell Khloe's scent in his breathe, like he wasn't even trying to hide it from me.

God he's so lucky were in a public environment right now.

"... speaking of which, wheres Khloe?" He asked as if he was genuinely curious.

My jaw clenched at the fact that he brought her up at all.

"She told me that she wasn't feeling well this morning so I let her stay in the room," I replied.

Xander just took another bite of his food, a slight smirk tugging at his lips for just a short second.

"That's too bad," he started, hooking his arm around Doe and pulling her against him, "What could be wrong with her?"

I had to bite the inside of my lip to stop a growl from escaping my throat.

He was playing a dangerous game with me, one that he knew he was going to win.

I cleared my throat.

"I don't know, I planned on figuring that out after breakfast," I said.

That seemed to be enough for him judging by the smirk that he wasn't even trying to hide anymore.

"Interesting." is all he said before he took a swig of blood from his glass.

Cheeky bastard.

"Anyways, enough about your pet and moving on to mine," he said.

I just rolled my eyes, preparing for what he was about to say.

"She told me that her stomach has been feeling weird ever since last night."

Last night?

I glanced down at the girl. She certainly did look more uncomfortable than usual, not to mention that she hadn't even touched her food.

And that was very unusual for her.

It was even more unusual that she wasn't looking at me, almost like she was trying to avoid it.

"Maybe she's pregnant," Xander added casually.

Doe shifted uncomfortably.

My eyes narrowed in a mix of disappointment and annoyance as I sighed.

"No, Xander, she's not pregnant. You know that's physically impossible."

Xander just shrugged as he leaned back.

"Well then what is it then, cuz it obviously wasn't something that she ate. If it was, Khloe would have been having stomach problems too."  

I glared at him, "What makes you think that Khloe isn't having stomach problems?"

His eyes went wide for a moment before he just  shrugged

"Well, you never said that she was," he replied quickly.

True, but I never said that she wasn't.

All I said was that she wasn't feeling well.

Still, I decided to drop the subject for now. It wasn't going to go anywhere if I continued knowing him.

He may act like an idiot but he could become a genius when it came getting away with something.

Even if he was making it blatantly obvious, he could lie himself out of it without hesitation.

And I didn't have the time to put up with that right now.

One day, but not now.

"Anyways," I began, "I can take a look at her as well if you want me too, and ill bring her back to your room when I'm done. Maybe with the absence of your pet, you'll actually get some work done." I finished, taking a sip from my glass.

He stared at me for a moment, like he was trying to figure something out.

His smirk briskly returned to his face as he tossed the end of Doe's leash into my lap.

"Are you gonna get your revenge on me while you're at it?" He asked confidently.

I froze for a second before placing my glass down.

This bastard knows.

"What the hell have you done that I would need to get revenge for?" I asked lowly.

Even if revenge was my intention, I wouldn't get it through Doe.

No, I don't play revenge like that.

Xander didn't make any sort of reaction, just looked at me like he had no care in the world.

"Oh come on Nicolas, we both know there's plenty of things I've done. Which one were you thinking of, hm?"

I just stared at him, watching his confident eyes wait for my answer.

What the hell is his plan with this? What is he hoping to gain?

If he wants Khloe, then he knows he's going to have to try a lot harder than whatever the hell he's doing now.

Whatever it is, I don't plan on giving it to him any time soon.

I still had my own agitated pet to take care of and keep away from him.

"Nothing," I said, taking the end of Doe's leash and raising to my feet.

Xander tapped on her back, making her flinch before she got the idea to follow me.

I watched as she frantically got off of him and stood next to me, knowing full well that Xander hated it when she took too long to do something.

"Take care of her, Nico," he said as almost a warning.

My eyes narrowed.

His words almost sounded like a threat.

"Who? My pet, or yours?"

Xander just chuckled a response before he himself stood.

He met my gaze, eyebrows raised in an almost challenging kind of way.

"You decide."

With that he turned on his heels, sticking his hands in his pockets before walking away.