1

Dinah sat nervously awaiting her turn to sing. She watched as Normani, the one girl she actually knew, went around talking to everyone.

She could never, she was way too shy to do that. So she sat in the corner fiddling with her fingers, until she felt a tap on her shoulder. She looked up and saw a pale girl with beautiful green eyes, she had seen this girl many times throughout the whole process that is X Factor.

"Dinah right?" The girl asked.

The young Polynesian nodded hesitantly.

"I'm Lauren."

Lauren! That's what it was! Dinah thought to herself as she gave the girl a wave.

"Hey, what song will you be singing?" Lauren asked.

"Hero by Mariah Carey," Dinah answered timidly.

Lauren's eyes widened a bit, seemingly piercing Dinah's soul, "Don't, because I'm singing it too."

And with that the green eyed girl was off to intimidate some other teen.

"Dinah Jane," the announcer called.

In the corner of her eye she saw Lauren glare at her, those eyes like daggers. She made Dinah shake in her boots, she really did think about switching her song. But then she realized she was first and she'd never see the girl again, so screw her!

Dinah started to walk out in front of the judges, when she came into view she saw all four visibly perk up.

"Yay Dinah!" Demi cheered causing her to smile.

"Lil Beyonce," L.A remembered.

"Dinah Jane," Simon said with a smile, "Lovely to see you again."

"What do you have for us today sweetheart," Brittany asked.

"Hero by Mariah Carey," she said confidently.

"Oh we about to get sung out of our seats once again," L.A complimented.

She smiled as she began to sing, she couldn't quite tell what they were thinking.

Did they hate it? Did they love it?

She could hear whispers from the other contestants, although self conscious of their opinions, the only opinions she really cared about were the judges.

"Dinah honey don't look so nervous, you did great sweetie," Brittany said as she looked up at the shaking teen.

"Yeah, were saying all good things anyway," Demi added.

"A note for the future tho," L.A started.

"Never show fear," Simon said bluntly, "That'll destroy you in this industry."

Dinah tried to swallow down her fear as best she could as she nodded her head in acknowledgment.

"Always so harsh Simon geesh. She's only 15," Demi added.

"Oh shit, I forgot," he said whole heartedly.

"I was about to say. Don't you have a be nice to minors rule?" Brittany asked.

"Yeah, but I completely forgot! I mean can you blame me?" He said to his colleagues, "Any who, you did really great Dinah. I absolutely love your voice. You can head back now. Thank you," he said turning to her.

She smiled warmly and nodded as she walked off the stage. She walked past the other waiting contestants and back to the waiting area where the other contestants who had already sung were.

"How do you think you did?"

"Honestly Paige, I think I did a lot better than that duo challenge we did yesterday. Hopefully my performance just now makes the judges forget that I forgot the lyrics earlier," Dinah told the older woman she had started seeing as an X Factor mother figure whilst in the competition.

A/N: In actuality I think the challenges happened on the same day and the duo challenge was the last challenge before the judges deliberated.

"You got this in the bag Dinah honey, you're amazing," Paige replied.

"Yeah. This show was made for people like you."

Dinah turned in the direction of the voice and smiled, "Thanks Saanè. You've been like an aunty to me. I hope you make it really far. We need more Polynesian people out there representing."

"One of those people is gonna be you sis. You got this Dinah," Saanè replied.

"Thanks," she said with a smile.

For what seemed like hours upon hours they all nervously waited and watched as the room filled with more people. When Normani walked in Dinah ran over and gave her a big hug.

"I feel like I might die," Dinah confessed to the only friend she had made whilst in Florida.

"I know the feeling," Normani said as she reciprocated the hug, "Oh God, I hope we make it."

"There's only 6 spots in our category. And I've already messed up. I hope you get a spot tho," Dinah said as they separated.

"Dinah you're better than a bunch of people in our section. You're definitely getting in."

"We'll find out soon enough I guess," Dinah said as Lauren walked into the room.

"Oh shit. She was the last one. They're deciding our future right now," Normani said.

Dinah and Normani watched as Lauren sat by another young girl their age.

"She definitely tried intimidating me earlier," Dinah informed.

"Who? Lauren?"

Dinah nodded.

"What'd she say?"

"She told me to change my song because she was singing it to."

"You didn't did you?"

"No, the thought crossed my mind briefly but I didn't. I figured I wouldn't see her again if I sung the song better. God I hope I was right she's kinda scary," Dinah admitted.

"Don't let anybody intimidate you Dinah. I bet you out sung her by a landslide. You're good."

"Excuse me. May I have your attention," a stage hand announced, "Can everyone in the 25 and over Division please follow me to the stage."

"Wow. The judges already chose people," Dinah said in disbelief.

"Fingers crossed," Normani said hopefully.