[ ten ] alpha attack

c h a p t e r   t e nalpha attack

c h a p t e r t e n
alpha attack

Harper smiled at the person behind the counter, putting the DVD's into a plastic bag along with their receipt.

"Have a good day." She waved as the man left, the door almost slamming shut behind him.

Now it was just Harper in the store, along with the other worker. She forgot his name since he was quite a few years older than her and she didn't talk to him much. Her Wednesday night shifts were always so boring, but she needed this job.

Harper felt bad asking her grandma for money so she did what she had to do and got a job. Sure, it was minimum wage, but it was better than nothing. She'd only had the job for three months and she already wanted to quit.

"I'm gonna go check the lights." The other worker told her as he walked by, dragging a ladder along with him. "They've been flickering on and off all night."

"Okay, I'll be in the back. I need to go and get the new DVD's Jerry ordered." Harper nodded, moving into the back of the store.

The brunette hummed quietly to herself as she ripped open the plastic covering the stack of brand new DVD's, one by one scanning them and placing them into another box.

About ten minutes later she finished up and came back into the front of the store. The other worker wasn't on the ladder anymore but Harper didn't taken any notice as she moved behind the counter again, her chin resting on her hand.

"Can somebody help me find The Notebook?" She heard a familiar voice call after a few minutes, causing her to giggle. "Hello?"

Harper walked over from behind the counter, not surprised to see Jackson Whittemore stood there, looking around the aisles like some kind of lost puppy.

"Harper?" His eyes fell on the brunette and he sighed. "What are you doing here?"

Rolling her eyes, she replied sarcastically, "Hunting for elephants. What do you think, Jackson?"

Jackson just rolled his eyes back at me. "Well do you know if anyone is working here?" He snapped, looking around the empty store. "I need some assistance." He yelled the second part for everybody to hear.

Harper sighed loudly. "Do you not see my shirt?"

She pointed a finger at her workers badge pinned to the awful polo shirt she was forced to wear.

Jackson scanned it, a look of disgust crossing his face. "You work here?"

"We can't all be adopted into rich families, Jackass." Harper retorted, rolling her eyes. "And the Notebook is over here."

She began to lead the way, Jackson walking behind her until she tripped over something, landing on somebody lying on the carpet. Harper cried out when she realised it was the body of the other worker, except his throat had been slashed and she was in a puddle of his blood.