Chapter 29 - On the Mend

Anabelle and I explored the hotel, more like walked aimlessly from floor to floor while giving the brothers their time to talk. We discovered an arcade room, a swimming pool area and finally a spa. We spent the next hour or so, treating ourselves by getting pampered in the hotel spa. We got to know more about each other, finding more things in common. Like how we were both an only child, how we both shared the same birthday month and how we both enjoyed the movie "Friends with benefits". By the time we returned at our hotel room, I literally felt like I had new skin from the spa.

The first thing I sought upon entering the room was Kyle. He sat almost pliantly but peaceful with his eyes closed while laughing and Jason at the bar area pouring himself a glass of what looked to be whisky.

"You're laughing." Anabelle stated, her astonished expression mirroring mine perfectly.

They both turned at our entrance, Kyle's eyebrows shot up as he appraised our outfit. We were both adorned in white long bathroom gowns while holding our clothes, the after effects of spa treatment.

I returned the secretive smirk he gave me as I moved to sit down opposite him. The fact that his mood had taken a quick one eighty somehow released the earlier affliction I felt from leaving him alone with his brother.

"Good?" I asked him.

He nodded in affirmation.

"I ordered room service while you were both out." Jason announced from the kitchen area. "I know I ruined dinner plans, it's the least I can do."

"It's very thoughtful." Anabelle beamed at him.

"Thank you." I smiled at Jason warily. He was staring at Kyle and I with amusement and I felt self-conscious.

"You don't have any schedule for tomorrow, by the way." Anabelle stated, nudging Jason lightly after a moment of awkward silence that hadn't relapsed. It was obvious that their relationship was not a formal one between boss and subordinate.

"Yes." Jason looked at Annabelle as if trying to ascertain her state of approach.

"You'll be free all day." She probed.

"Right...um," Jason rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly as he looked from her to us. "Do you guys want to hang out tomorrow...maybe take a tour of Seattle?"

Anabelle grinned at us expectantly.

"Yeah...sure why not." I shrugged, while Kyle nodded in assent.

"Great!" Annabelle clasped her hands in excitement, startling all of us. Jason, on the other hand only smiled awkwardly. "I'll arrange everything," she continued.

"Well, enjoy your dinner you two. Maybe tomorrow we can all eat together." Anabelle suggested and Jason nodded in agreement.

"Thank you." Kyle and I said at the exact time. We got up from the sofa and bid them goodnight.

The minute the door closed. I took a deep shaky breath at the stark realisation that once again I was alone with Kyle. I entered the living area, twiddling the straps of my gown and saw his form spread across the sofa, one his arm across his upper face.

I walked toward him and stood over him.

"So..." I probed. "How did it go? What did he have to say?"

Kyle removed his arm and the light caught on his eyes, emphasising the crystalline green hues that robed me off oxygen instantly. Those same eyes never left mine as he sat up and turned his body in my direction. The intensity of the silence that followed overwhelmed me to a point that I forgot the question I asked in the first place.