Chapter 6- The Train from Nine and Three-Quarters

Frankie and Tom arrived at the bustling King's Cross Station a few minutes later. They were dropped off at the front with their tickets and trunks to face the next challenge alone. Although, it's not like that fact terrified them at all. By the age of eleven, they had already been forced to achieve more independence and maturity than most others their age, especially Tom. It's not like he could ever rely on Mrs. Cole for anything. She wasn't some kind of mother figure he could turn to in times of need, despite having technically raised him. From her, to the workers, to all the children currently residing at Wool's Orphanage, not one of them could be trusted. They all thought he deserved to be alone, for what he was, and did their best to leave him that way. Of course, for quite some time now, Tom's version of alone was generally accompanied by a cheerful girl companion and he rarely ever had a true moment alone.

They were trying to look for their platform over the mounds of people shuffling in and out of the station, while still trying to remain in each other's sight as well. Tom knew if he didn't keep watch out for Frankie she'd get lost in the crowd and they would miss the train. The two headed straight for Platform 9 ¾. However, upon their approach, they ended up going right through Platform 9 to Platform 10. There was something fishy going on that they didn't understand. Neither of them had seen a sign for a Platform 9 ¾. Not a 9 ¼, or 9 ½ train either. Just Platform 9 and 10. Nothing in-between.

"What's going on here?" He checked his ticket once more, just to be sure it said Platform 9 ¾. The numbers were the same as they had been when he checked it a couple minutes ago. 9 ¾.

"Wait here for a moment—I'll go ask someone about it." Frankie added. She left Tom with the carts and started shuffling her way towards a nearby guard to go ask where the platform was. The guard that she'd chosen to ask had to be ten times larger than she was. His face was already scrunched up with anger before she even got within two feet of him. Was that just what his face looked like, or was he already upset over something else? Regardless, Frankie mustered up all the courage she could and asked him politely,

"Excuse me, sir. Could you please tell me where Platform 9 ¾ is?"

The guard glared at her, as if she had called him something immensely grotesque and foul.

"What kind of joke are you lot playing at? You're the 10th kid to ask me that today and I've HAD IT!" the guard roared at Frankie, sending big globs of angry spit flying in her face. "I shouldn't have to put up with this sort of nonsense! I'm not getting paid enough."

Although, still rather confused by the man's outburst at her, she simply wiped her face dry and started walking back to Tom. If he knew nothing of it, did it not exist? If at least nine other kids had been looking for it as well, it must've been around there somewhere. Frankie was a bit discouraged and wasn't paying attention to the bustling crowd around her. Suddenly, all she could see was the scratchy grey wool of someone's coat. She had accidentally collided with another person and they both were pushed onto their backsides from the impact of the hit.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't paying attention!" Frankie apologized, frantically. She got up and offered a hand to help the other person up as well. A girl with fading blue eyes and wavy blonde hair sat there in the chaos, staring up at Frankie peculiarly. She took her hand, lifted herself up and returned to the reigns of her cart beside her. The cart had a trunk, much like Frankie and Tom's, except for the barn owl perched gracefully in a cage that was fastened to it. She was still looking at Frankie peculiarly, then she saw the ticket clutched in Frankie's right hand.

"You must be going to Hogwarts. Do you need help getting onto the platform?" the girl inquired. Frankie nodded silently. "Then, get your cart and follow me. I know the way."

Who was this girl? Although, she didn't look much older than Frankie, she seemed so much more collected and refined. Someone who was clearly from the magical world. Frankie ran back over to Tom, grabbed her cart, and started to follow after the mysterious girl and her promise to lead her to Platform 9 ¾ . However, Tom grabbed Frankie's arm and stopped her.