Chapter 12- The Dark Magic of Envy

Sun began crawling down the sky and buried them in a vivid orange sunset. A soft and subtle signal telling them it was time for supper, and they should probably start returning to the castle. Tom told her that he was going to sit for a little while longer on his own. A part of him needed to soak in true solitude for a moment. He really didn't care if he missed out on eating now that they were assured delicious food by the bucket loads every day of the week. So, they said their goodbyes and Frankie trudged back up to the castle on her own. It was astounding how long they had been able to spend talking out there. They'd thankfully been able to move onto other subjects that weren't related to roommates or parents. Frankie described the library in surprisingly great detail for someone who's brain had a complete meltdown during her trip there. She also told him about some of the stuff she had read while she'd visited. At least the stuff she could remember. She'd read the most fascinating book on magical creatures and needed to tell him all about Bowtruckles. Tom neglected to tell her that he had sought out the library after lessons on their first day and had been spending a lot of free time there ever since. Frankie was smiling again, and he wouldn't dare ruin that. Even though he'd been trying to get rid of their friendship, it was somewhat comforting to learn that she was still so determined to be at his side after all this time. How she had not grown tired of him, even Tom was baffled by.

If he hadn't pushed her into the idea of going back to the castle, she probably could've spent many more hours conversing with him under the shade of the tree. Frankie was free to live a life that had been stolen to her by the orphanage and the muggle world. Although, her friends were still fresh, Tom could already see the bonds were forming forever. He wanted to talk to her about the incredible things that were happening to him and all his castle adventures. But then he thought about it and realized he didn't have anything to tell her. They had all the same classes and had equal magical ability so far. Since he was choosing not to befriend the other Slytherins, he had nothing to tell her that she didn't already know. The only true difference was their houses. Tom sat there under the tree, ping-ponging these queries back and forth in his addled mind, debating on what he should do. Perhaps, he should reconsider making friends with the other Slytherins. Maybe, just maybe, he could find some use for them.

                                                ─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Meanwhile, Frankie was arriving just in time to shuffle into the Great Hall with the crowd of famished students. She amazingly managed to find Daphne and Sara in the giant mass of people shoving to get to their house tables to eat. They clasped hands, so they wouldn't lose each other in the shuffle, and tried to push through the crowd of upperclassmen. Of course, that endeavor failed, and they all fell back onto the stone floor.

"Good evening, firsties." Rodger Day greeted, noticing a pile up had formed behind him of people he was supposed to be looking out for as a prefect. Quickly, realizing he was responsible for this pile, and they would surely tell Alice if he left them there, he helped them up again and managed to get them through the crowd. It was much easier, thanks to his height and high social status.

"We didn't need your help." Frankie argued, once they were finally out of the massive mob.

"Says the girl who almost got trampled. You know this is the second time I've saved your life. A simple 'thank you' wouldn't go unnoticed." he sighed. Frankie stuck her tongue out at him and went to go find a seat with her friends. The other first years had amazingly made it to the table and were already sitting down, waiting for the food to appear. Quin noticed their arrival and gave a small wave at their approach, but then cringed and put his arm back down. Frankie seemed to be the only one who noticed and found herself drifting to the seat beside him to find out why.