Fifty-Two

"Maybe someday I will see you again, and you'll look me in my eyes and call me your friend"

"Keep or donate?" Gemma asks, holding up a pair of dungarees I've had since I was fourteen

"Keep!" I insist. "Those dungarees have been with me for a long time. They've seen some good times... and some not so good times."

"All the more reason to chuck them out," she responds, inspecting the piece more closely.

Snatching it out of her hands, I place it into the 'keep' pile, and continue sorting through all of my belongings.

Looking around my room, it feels somewhat off-putting to see most of my things in piles on the floor. A battle of the survival of the fittest it seems, with my belongings all vying to be brought along to my next residence. Being a specimen of the female species, I am somewhat sentimental, and the 'keep' pile only continues to grow, and it doesn't help Gemma's cause when I continue to take things from the 'donate' pile, sneaking it with me to take.

"Oh and what about this trash?" she jokingly enquires again, this time holding up a vintage Chanel shoulder bag in near perfect condition. "And because I'm your friend, I'll even take it off your hands for you."

"Very funny," I quip back in return. "Do remind me to do a full body search when you leave."

"You know what, I might actually enjoy that. Go right ahead," she encourages, laughing to herself. "You know, I never did see this ever happening again," she says conversationally. "I never thought you'd ever agree to move in with Harry again, but the more I hear his reasoning, I'd have to say I'm coming around to the idea."

It is quite a lot to process, but it really does make sense. I'm quite capable at this point in time, but what happens when I'm further along in the pregnancy? It doesn't have to be some kind of romantic thing, but two adults co-existing in the same house, preparing for the birth of their child... Okay, it is weird, but ultimately, it does make sense.

"I like this dress," Gemma informs me, holding up a dress within a plastic garment bag. "It looks familiar, where have I seen you in this?"

"Caroline's baby shower," I smile. "Where Harry and I officially met."