C H A P T E R T W E N T Y O N E

-

-

"There's something that's been bothering me about our arrangement, Abaddon."

"Which is?"

"The lycan wants Xerxes too. I thought we had a deal? That Xerxes will be mine, and mine alone."

"And he will be. I'm just using the wolf as a distraction from your actions. They'll suspect it to be the lycan. And you, the traitor, will be free to roam amongst the halls of the castle without them knowing a thing."

-

                    "Return to Adelaide, Xerxes

                    "Return to Adelaide, Xerxes." Norward pushed himself off the stone wall of the castle, taking his place next to the enraged beast king and clasping an assuring hand on his bare shoulder. "She is confused. Go and care for her, bide your time with her. I'll handle this."

Xerxes almost failed to register the guardian's voice over the blinding white hot rage he was feeling, and even the blood of the miscreant and his companions didn't cease his beast. "He questioned my queen. Offended her name, right in front of me."

"I understand," Norward tried to reason with him, "but he didn't know that she is your queen, or theirs, or even everyone else's. Spare their lives, you aren't thinking clearly."

Oh but he was. The king was absolutely, definitely thinking as open as the morning sky when affairs like these concerned his Dela's safety. The single winged creature had said so himself, Adelaide had wandered away from their chamber because the fools of guards he had given the duty to keep her in place hadn't been there, in which resulted him in having to punish his little love.

Xerxes shook Norward's hand off of him and looked him straight in the eye. "Find out who gave them the order to defy me, or else I'll have their heads sent to their families. Understood?"

"Crystal." The guardian replied and Xerxes left without another word, but Norward's gaze remained transfixed on the four wooden posts that the guards were tied to, stripped of their armor as their meat was used as target practice by the soldiers who had happily obliged to their king's orders.