Chapter 29/5k!

Warnings: Blood, death

     ~Vikk's P.O.V.~

"Hunter... He knows we're here." I mumble, hastily pulling out my throwing stars.
"Hunter?" Lachlan questions, glancing sideways at me as he likewise draws his own weapon.
"The Hidden kingdoms ruler. The sneakily little punk must've sent a spy or a scout ahead to warn him of our arrival and anything we do."

The troops swarm out of the spruce forest in front of us, all dressed in iron armour and carrying iron swords, gleaming in the sunlight. They carry pitch black shields, indicating they're from the hidden kingdom. The six of us fall back a few steps, weapons raised and ready to defend. My eyes sweep over the group as a diamond clad warrior pushes his way to the front of the cluster, obviously their battle leader. A quick mix of estimations and a head count, I determine there are fifty of them-give or take-outnumbering us about eight to one. My heart skips a beat. Our horses snort nervously, trotting on the spot, obviously sensing the danger. I try to calm mine, strongk it's neck and cooing reassuring nothings into its ear.

Suddenly, the leader raises an arm, and six of the men pull out bows with incredible speed, aiming arrows towards us. In the blink of an eye, the arrows find their marks in the horses, and they neigh with a bloodcurdling pitch, bucking all six of us off. The arrows had intentionally struck a non fatal spot on each horse, just enough to dismount us and then spook them off. I grimace picking myself up off the ground, watching as the bleeding horses thunder away. I don't think we'll be seeing them again... I note miserably, pain erupting from my thigh and side. I grunt and push self to my hands and knees, moving to stand up like very one else.

But before we can completely regain our footing, a shout is ruining loud and clear across the field.

"CHARGE!!" The leader bellows, pumping a fist in the air.

The wave of enemies surge forward like a silver tidal wave, fierce cries mixing in the with clanking of armour and thunder of footsteps. It's at ten blocks away, just when we collect ourselves, that Preston suddenly lunges out in front of us. I notice briefly his skin is glowing a lot brighter than usual, and then all of a sudden the grass beneath him bursts in flame. The cluster of troops hesitates seeing the deadly sight, and Preston quickly darts around the rest of us in that time, encasing us in a ring of blazing fire. The flames flicker and dance through the air, burning so dangerously hot that the tips of it are blue. Preston backs towards us, smirking as the soldiers stare at the scorching flames only ten blocks away from them, preventing them from reaching us. The six of us draw back further, forming a tight cluster in the centre of the ring, weapons out and ready.

     I'm vaguely aware of the six archers pulling back their bows, instead focusing my attention on picking off others left and right, my razor sharp throwing stars slicing throats and lodging themselves in skulls. I head the quick twang of a bowstring six times in rapid succession, and the opposing six archers go down with ease. Shouts of surprise and fear echo from the thirty some remaining troops, and they smartly being to realize that they are, indeed, holding shields. By the time they have them up to protect against Mitch's and my own projectiles, they're numbers have dropped by uh another five. They begin to inch back cautiously, and the diamond armour man shakes in fury, spit flying as he scolds them.

     "IDIOTS! ENDERPEARL IN THERE AND KILL THEM!" He bellows, face red as a tomorrow from anger.

     Several of them come to their senses, pulling out enderpearls and pitching past the roaring flames. They don't last thirty seconds against Lachlan's daggers, Jerome's axe, Rob's sword, and Preston's burning abilities combined. The others are about to follow, but seeing the fate of their comrades, decide smartly against it, despite the insults and shouts coming from their leader. The last man standing with the six of us tries to sneak up behind Lachlan, only to be quickly knocked out with the butt of Jerome's axe, and then cleanly decapitated by the other end. Although... I'm not sure if cleanly is the best word to describe it. I find myself thinking, gazing at the blood covering nearly every inch of the ground, and dead bodies piled up all around us.

     Now there are only about twelve of them left, including the leader, who has finally shut up. Only now does he realize the situation he's in, and how we've so easily slain over thirty of his men, whereas the most we've suffered is a couple bruises and small cuts. Before he can get any funny ideas, I take advantage of his and his fellow warriors fears, hoping to end this without anymore bloodshed.

     "If you don't want to end up like them..." I state loudly, gesturing to the bodies scattered about inside the still blazing ring of fire, "drop your weapons, armour, and anything else you have on you."

     Instantly, piles of swords, armour, food, and other random items are being thrown hastily to the ground. Even their leader, although somewhat reluctantly, raises his hands in surrender like the rest, and steps away from the piles of items. Lachlan glances sideways at me.

"Let's have a little fun, shall we?" He states eagerly, cracking his knuckles.

~~~

~Hunter's P.O.V.~

"S-Sir! They're coming!"

The doors hurts open as he says this, and the spy rushes in, sweating buckets and doubling over, palms to knees.

"The Pack?!" I yell, shooting up form my throne. "How did they get past my guards?! They were severely outnumbered!"
"Th-they killed thirty-eight and tied up the rest, S-sir." He huffs, shaking.
"How?!"
"It was Preston, Sir... He protected him and his friends with fire, and then Vikk and Mitch killed several with projectiles. When others enderpearls inside the ring, the other four cut them down instantly. The remaining twelve were forced to surrender." The spy explains hastily, eyes wild with fear.
"Curse that lava mob!" I seethe, stomping a foot angrily.

Suddenly from the hall, there's shouts of alarm, and loud banging. Then two seconds later, the doors are being kicked open, and in walks Vikk like he owns the place, flanked by his other five friends. I scowl, glaring the the six as they stride in, covered in blood that it clearly not their own. The spy yelps and scurries away as the bacca, Jerome I recall, snarls at him.

"Hunter, ruler of the Hidden kingdom," Vikk begins, carrying himself confidently and proudly, "I challange you for the ownership of the kingdom."

~~~
Question of the chapter:

What will the challenge be?

My answer: To be honest I'm not quite sure at this point myself haha

Also thank you so much once again, because now we've hit 5k! It means a lot, and I'm glad so many of you are enjoying this book so far ❤️

To save time, I won't post another #k chapter until 10k, so cya then!

-DarkDisco7