Chapter 34

Tony was about to give up on Alex and send for Steve to watch her overnight when the heart monitor he'd managed to set up began beeping faster.

A few seconds later, Alex's head tried to lift up but she only succeeded in leaving a trail of drool on the pillow. Tony reached for the cloth on the bedside table and patted her face dry.

"Who are you?" She sounded hoarse, but that was the only worrying thing Tony noticed. Her tone was curious, not concerned and her eyes were closed.

"It's Tony. Your Zietto."

"Zietto." Alex managed a smile, although the rest of her face stayed still, "I missed you."

"I missed you too, Alex. You scared us half to death."

"What happened?"

"What do you remember?"

Alex groaned lightly, "Me and Pietro went to S.H.I.E.L.D and there was this woman, Sidero Sablinova. She offered us help and weapons, believing that me and Pietro could lead her to Ultron and after he was destroyed, they could use his body to make a weapon."

"Shit, you didn't—"

"We didn't take anything from them. I took us straight to Sam's and then to Ultron's base to get you. Then...then I don't quite remember. I think Ultron triggered me into amnesia and I know Pietro was there because I remember him holding me."

"That's more than I thought," Tony flexed his arms and turned the stretch into a move to pick up a notebook, "Wanda appeared while we were putting our gear back on and you were nowhere to be seen. She was holding the knife with the Mind Stone and Steve was the first one to notice. He began running back and that's when the rest of us noticed. We'd barely made it ten feet when we saw Pietro."

"Saw him doing what?"

"Running back to you."

Alex looked smug at this, "Not to say I told you so but...I did say that the twins deserved another chance and I was right."

"Somewhat right. Pietro likes you, he'd do anything to protect you."

"I think anything is extreme."

"—but," Tony carried on, not looking at Alex, "that doesn't mean he'd do the same for us."

"I disagree." Of course Alex would. Tony felt a fleeting sympathy for his mother who had to deal with him being as stubborn as Alex— but at least Tony's stubbornness was about not wanting to wash his clothes or apologise to his father rather than defending two teenagers who'd nearly killed him and blown up the world.

"I fixed up Pietro's shoulder as best as I could but it's still heavily bruised," He didn't want to say it but Alex would find out anyway, "He broke his shoulder getting through those rooms to find you."

"How is that even possible?" Alex asked, and in the second it took Tony to take in what she'd said, Alex had already begun rambling in panic. Tony allowed her a frantic minute of talking before he rested a hand on her shoulder, interrupting her, then

"Alright, calm down otherwise I'll have to sedate you."

"I don't give my consent for that to happen," Alex quickly said, forcing Tony to turn away so she didn't see his grin, "How did Pietro get so hurt?"

"I told you, he broke through about fifty rooms trying to reach you. It will heal quicker than other people's shoulders would, maybe in just a week if we're lucky."