FIFTEEN // Piper

WHAT A LITTLE LOVE FROM A KITTEN CAN DO

When I wake the next morning, it's because there's a weight on my stomach that isn't normally there. I ignore it for a while, thinking I accidentally fell asleep with my laptop still on my stomach, but then I remember I put my laptop on my desk.

My eyes fly open, only to see a small black kitten curled up in a ball, sleeping soundly on my stomach. I nearly cry from the cuteness, my hand reaching over and petting it softly.

The kitten shifts around, moving where it can nuzzle its head against my hand.

"I see Bandit found you."

I jump, scaring both myself and the kitten. I look over and see Ash standing in my doorway, smiling softly, her arms crossed over her chest comfortably.

"I got him yesterday, but didn't have time until today to bring him up here," She tells me. "He likes you already."

"He liked me back at the shelter," I remind her, smirking playfully. She sticks her tongue out at me, and I do the same. A second later I ask, "What're you up here for?"

She shrugs, "T'bring you Bandit. And wash some clothes. I'm tired of people touchin' my stuff."

I laugh, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Bandit curls back up and starts purring again with his eyes closed. Sweet thing.

"Well have fun," I chuckle. "We haven't done laundry all week."

"I can tell," She nods, glancing down at my full clothes hamper.

I look at it, too, realizing that I probably should've been doing laundry last night instead of write the article...and I probably should've done laundry instead of go to the game with Micah. Oh well.

"I'm gonna go get started on it," Ash says, referring to her laundry. I nod, reaching down to pet Bandit as he sleeps soundly. "Hey," She pauses, the door almost closed. Her eyebrows are furrowed as she stares at something by my desk.

"Hm?"

"Who's hoodie is that?"

Quickly, I glance up to see Micah's hoodie is stretched out over the back of my desk chair. The football logo is clearly on display, so I can't shrug it off and say it's her choir hoodie from two years ago. Because it's obviously not. Great.

"Oh," I chuckle, my eyes averting over to the clock. It's not even ten a.m. yet. Can't I get a break? And why in the hell is my heart pounding like I'm in trouble? It's just a damn hoodie. "It's Micah's."

I let my eyes wander over to Ash, gauging her reaction. She raises her eyebrows, smirking.

"Cute," Is all she says, and then she leaves my room, shutting the door behind her. The sound echoes off the walls, eventually leaving me in a stunned silence.

Did she just say cute? She did, didn't she?

I nearly groan aloud. Whenever my sister thinks two people are cute together, the cute doesn't mean cute. It practically means I can see you guys dating. And it's annoying.

"You won't judge me for being scared, will you?" I ask Bandit, petting him behind his ears, which he seems to enjoy. He scoots body over to get closer to my hand, purring a lot louder than I thought a kitten could. I chuckle, "I guess that means you won't."