46

Chapter Forty-Six

I walked to my locker with Logan one day after school, complaining to him about the kid who sat behind me in my Human Anatomy and Physiology class and always corrected me rudely whenever I answered a question wrong. I hadn't been so heated since Kacey's boyfriend, or whatever he was, punched my boyfriend in the eye.

          "—and then he said, "Do you know anything?" and I think the girl beside me actually held me down—"

I opened my lock and threw the door open before angrily tossed my books inside.

"—I mean, can you believe him? He thinks he knows everything. He actually shouldn't even be talking because I got a higher grade than him on our final exam last semester—"

I slammed my locker shut.

"—So he can shove his snotty little personality up his... What?... Why are you looking at me like that?"

Logan was grinning at me, the corners of his eyes crinkling with both amusement and affection.

"You're so cute when you're upset."

I tilted my head and tried not to smile. "Babe, I'm serious."

"So am I." He smiled and lifted a hand to play with a thin strand of hair beside my face. "You're beautiful."

I melted into a pile of goo, and my anger disappeared like a blown out flame.

"Yeah?" I asked dreamily, biting my lip to keep myself from grinning like an idiot and feeling lost in his blue eyes.

          "Yeah," he agreed, smiling as his eyes eyed my lips.

"You know, if you're trying to shut me up, it's working." I smiled up at him slyly.

           "Well," he began, "I'm not exactly a fan of listening to you talk about another guy so enthusiastically."

          My eyes twinkled with mischievousness and my smile widened. "Are you jealous?"

          "Me?" He scoffed. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

          "You know," I started, slowly inching my way away from him, "I probably should go apologize to him and become his friend, and then maybe we could—"

He quickly pulled me back by my hands and hugged me tightly. "I really don't think that's necessary."

I laughed and shoved his shoulder playfully. "I knew it!"

Laughing wholeheartedly, he grabbed my hand and started pulling me towards the mass of people walking down the hallway. I grinned and laughed along with him as he shook his head at my teasing–though I knew he loved it.

I was about to tell him how attractive his jealous side was when I was suddenly, unexpectedly shoved backwards.

I turned and scanned the crowd, quickly focusing onto the girl with the black leather jacket. It was Kacey who turned to look at me over her shoulder with eyes as dark as night as she slipped past me. Her stare bore into me, and our eyes locked for a moment before she finally turned around and disappeared into the sea of students.