Five Words

Hailey's POV

I felt all the air rush from my lungs as Harry grabbed me and pressed his lips to mine. It obviously took me by surprise given the nature of our conversation, but as the feelings of pure elation rushed through me I completely forgot what we were arguing about.

He kissed me passionately, his lips moving with mine as we stood there under the stars. I could feel the desperation he felt, how long he'd been holding back, as he kissed me like he'd been waiting his whole life to feel his lips on mine. He rested his hand on the side of my neck as he pressed the other one to the small of my back and pulled me into him. I tangled my fingers in the hair at the back of his neck as I kissed him back, swiping my tongue along his bottom lip as he deepened the kiss and began to massage his tongue with mine.

It was by far the most passionate and sensual kiss I'd ever had, and I suddenly realized what he had meant about never wanting it to stop. It was like the accumulation of all those feelings we'd been trying to bottle up was finally coming to a head, everything we'd both wanted to say for weeks being said in the way our mouths moved together.

"Hailey..." He said against my lips as I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer to me. "Hails..."

I suddenly felt the absence of his lips on mine as he reached up and unwrapped my arms from around his neck, and I opened my eyes to see him looking down at me. We were both breathing heavily as we stood there staring at each other and I wondered why the hell we weren't still kissing.

"Bear...I-We can't do this." He said quietly, so quietly I wondered if I'd even heard it.

I felt my heart drop into my stomach as I looked at him, the lump forming in my throat as I suddenly felt his rejection as it sank in, my anger returning from earlier.

"What?" I said in disbelief.

"We can't, I-I'm sorry I shouldn't have-"

"Are you fucking kidding me, Harry?" I spat. "You're the one who kissed me!"

"I know, I'm-"

"Forget it. Goodnight." I snapped as I turned and sprinted towards my house, hearing him call out after me as I ran up the stairs and into my bedroom, slamming the door behind me and locking it.

I collapsed on the floor at the foot of my bed, my emotions overcoming me as I tried to process everything that had happened in the past five minutes. Harry had kissed me, he'd kissed me passionately and urgently as if he'd wanted it as much as I had. He'd given me the moment I'd wanted since I met him, but never allowed myself to admit it. The second that I gave into my feelings for him, when I allowed myself to feel everything I'd wanted to, he rejected me.

I heard him come up the stairs behind me and immediately try to open the door. He pounded his fists against it when he realized it was locked, the desperation clear in his voice as he pleaded with me to open it.

"Hails, Fuck. I-I didn't, I-I'm...I'm a fucking idiot. Please just open the door, we need to talk about this! I'm so fucking sorry, please just open the door! Just talk to me!" He yelled.

"Leave me alone, Harry." I yelled back, trying to keep my voice steady so he didn't know I was on the verge of completely breaking down.

"No! Not until you let me explain! Hails, please!" He pleaded, desperately pounding on the door in an effort to make me open it. "Ouch, fuck!"

I shot my head towards the door at the sound of him crying out in pain, wondering what the hell he'd done to himself as the pounding on the door suddenly stopped. I heard him muttering curse words to himself outside the door, followed by what I assumed was him plunking himself down on the floor in the hallway.