Chapter 2

Today is my free day, so I slept in before going to Wade's

Now we're sitting on the steps of his house, eating. We took our food to go from the bistro. That was my idea. The people there talking about yesterday's news were annoying me.

All the talk about what they would or wouldn't do, 'They say it's a serial killer. - If I were the police I would just go check every bachelor living alone, you heard the interview yesterday? - I think they should arrest everyone who seems suspicious and just have them questioned with a lie detector-'

What? We've got a town full of specialists now? I don't think so. Those assholes know nothing.

I hear Wade talking about something. But somehow I can't concentrate on what he's saying. Looking around at the other small houses and broken fences I eat my food, grumble here, give a nod there so he thinks I'm actually paying attention.

And it works too until Clyde comes by. I always wonder if Wade is using that much, or if they are just good friends. But it's his problem so I won't ask. Well with Clyde here it isn't that easy pretending that I am listening to what they are saying.

So I mutter a "need to do something at home, bye," and I leave them to it.

I watch TV for the rest of the afternoon. I should have stayed home in a first place.

In the evening I hear Wade's bike and few moments after there is the usual banging, but he doesn't just walk in, strange. I stand up to open the door, and there stands Wade, with some chick.

"Hey, brother! Meet Crystal! Crystal here is a real sweetheart, she'll do whatever you want her to. And when I say whatever, I really mean everything. She can shut her mouth about it after too, don't you sweetcheeks!?" Crystal nods and smiles at him.

I give her one over and I'm not impressed. Her dress is dirty and practically falling off of her, loose, probably from how many times she's already taken it off today. She could be anything between thirty and fifty. Hard to tell, with how worn out she looks. And she has so much make-up it's actually impressive she manages to keep it on without it falling off like a mask.

But from the way she's clinging to Wade's arm, she's obviously a hooker he uses regularly. So what could I expect? Some high-class escort? Not likely.

"What the hell Wade?! I don't need you to bring hookers to my house!"

Wade shoots the girl a look. "Wait here sugartits." Then he walks with me inside.

"Not for me, I brought her for you! Don't worry 'bout a thing baby brother. I paid her already and if you worry about your spotless reputation you don't have to, no one knows she's here, no one even knows she's with me tonight." He does seem a little nervous. What's his problem, now?

"Look, I can see that it's been awhile because you are starting to... you know how you get. And with the police sniffing around. I thought, you know, I think you really, really need to get laid! I think it might help you to focus on something else..."