Chapter 3

It seems the cheap rent doesn't make up for the distance because I had to wait a few days

It seems the cheap rent doesn't make up for the distance because I had to wait a few days. But eventually one afternoon my phone rings.

"Yeah?" I answer my phone on the second ring, but there is no answer on the other end, asshole. I'm about to hang up when I hear a hesitant "Hello?" It's a woman's voice, or a girl, hard to guess over the phone.

I hear her clear her throat. "Sorry, I-I'm calling about the room and I somehow, from the way the ad was written, I thought it was a woman who owns the house. You know, there wasn't a name and because of the 'looking for quiet and clean person' part,... which I am, I am very clean and quiet, I can put some meals together too-" She stops suddenly. Sounds like a nervous talker. I chuckle as she rambles away. And a girl, perfect! She takes a deep breath and continues. "Anyway, I wanted to ask if it's still free...." she trails off.

"Yeah, it is. Wanna come see it?" I hear her let out a breath as if she was holding it before.

"Yes, I'd like to, I'm in kinda situ- I just need a place as soon as possible so, could I come today? Whenever you are free." Yeah, I'm in kind of a situation myself here.

"Today is fine. I'll text you the directions to this number? You be here at seven."

"Okay, yeah, great! See you tonight, bye."

"Yeah, bye." I hang up.

A few hours later I watch the girl from my kitchen window. Well, what I can see of her, which isn't much. I can see she has blond hair but her face, I can't see it very well through the windshield.

She's here on time but she's still sitting in her car. I see her head turning from left to right as if looking around, then back to the road. What's she doing? I know I don't have a white fence around a neatly mown lawn, but it's not a complete dump either.

Finally, she climbs out of her car and heads for the house.

I go open the door for her but as I do just that I find her heading to her car again. What the hell?

"Hey," I call after her and step out of the house to walk to her. She jumps a little and turns to me. She moves so fast, her ponytail swings around her head and slaps her face. Huh, no make-up. That's not very usual these days. She looks familiar too but I just can't place her.

When she sees me she freezes on the spot though. "It's you-," she whispers under her breath. So quietly I almost don't catch it, as if she doesn't even mean to say it out loud. "Um, I'm sorry, I-I don't think this is a good idea." She starts to back up to her car and I follow, slowly. 

"What are you talking about? You are here for the room right? You haven't even seen it yet."

Her back hits the car and she jumps again. What's up with her? I stop moving, to leave her some room to breathe.

I really need her to stay.

She clears her throat, much like she did on the phone. "I- I saw you." It's my turn to freeze on the spot. "In the quarry, the other day, you were there with your, um, friend? I guess?"