Chapter 5

When Sam and I came in from the barn after mucking around in the yard for another 3 hours, throwing hay at each other and chasing the baby goats, we walked through the back door of the kitchen to be greeted by my mother and a few strangers. Well, strangers to me.

Sam immediately embraced all three of them in a very endearing family hug that the Jefferson's had never and would never attempt. The strangers were Sam's Family: The Ford's.

When they broke apart, I took a closer look at the tight-knit family. Mr. Ford wasn't graying like his best friend, he had a full head of thick black curls deeper than his son's waves. He was modestly dressed and looked at me like a proud father, winning smile and all. He pulled me in for a tight hug as soon as he got a good look at me.

"Taite," he sighed, pulling away from me slightly to look into my eyes, his hands gripping my shoulders in a firm hold. "I know you won't remember, but you and I used to be good friends. I had a beard back then, and in your toddler years it was the most interesting thing you had ever seen."

I laughed heartily, and not out of courtesy. Mr. Ford had a way of making you feel comfortable, as though you've known him forever. I guess, actually, I have.

"Well, you can probably tell I've grown out of that stage. It's great to see you again Mr. Ford." He beamed at me in response, agreeing.

Mrs. Ford came next. Where Mr. Ford was all muscle and brawn, Jane Ford was tall and lanky. I could tell exactly where Sammy got his height from. She had a sweet face, wrinkled with laugh lines and age. Her brunette waves more aptly matched her son's. So did her kind, welcoming gray eyes. She too pulled me in for a hug.

"It's been too long, Taite. I've only seen pictures of you and Sarah since we moved. Wow, have you grown."

She, too, made me smile a genuine smile. The uncanny similarity between her eyes and her son's had me thinking of Sam standing next to me, dressed in my clothing. My stomach started churning again. I chose to ignore it, instead saying, "It's amazing what 16 years will do. Good to see you too, Mrs. Ford."

Sam's sister was the only one who didn't pull me in for a headstrong embrace. She was petite, like her mom, but she didn't have Sammy's height. Brown straight hair framed her pale heart-shaped faced delicately. Her eyes matched the green of her father's. Her skin was smooth like porcelain, her cheeks holding the staple pink that Sam's did.

"You most definitely don't remember me," she said, her voice small, proudly displaying the British accent her parents lacked. "I was only a baby when we moved," she paused to give a small, sugar sweet giggle. "Call me Lottie."

She held her hand out for me to shake: a delicate, manicured, porcelain hand. I was scared I would break her if I gripped it too hard.

I took it carefully, smiling. "Good to see you again, Lottie."

Her lips formed a smirk. "Likewise, Taite."

"Taitey," my mother interrupted, finally making her position on the outskirts known. "I'm going to show the Ford's the carriage house. You and Sam go get showered and changed, we're heading to the club for an early dinner in about an hour and a half."

Saying our goodbyes, Sam and I unintentionally raced up the back staircase, him beating me to my room by a second. We fell into the bedroom laughing, smiling, and looking at one another with the curiosity of two boys quickly becoming fast friends. He fell down onto my bed.

"I'm beat," he told me. I nodded.

"I'll take Sarah's shower; you can shower here." Sitting up, he thanked me. "Oh, and we're going to the country club for dinner, so I would probably dress a little fancier. If you don't have anything, feel free to take anything from my closet."