XIV

I ran through the forest, never stopping as I weaved through vines and ducked under low hanging branches. My heart pounding in my chest as the never dwindling footsteps from behind me made me push forward.

Some of the others had stopped running. I didn't know if that was because they knew they couldn't catch me or he told them to stop. The only footsteps I could hear right now was his as they thundered behind me, ever so quickly coming closer and closer, like a predator closing in on its prey and-

I cried out when I felt a strong weight suddenly push me to the ground, a body now on top of mine as he kneels either side of me, his hand squeezing one of my shoulders as the other props himself up on the ground from completely falling on top of me.

I groan at his weight crushing me. My cheek pressing into the dirt. He was making it harder for me to breath as I tried to catch my breath. He had no problem showing how much the chase affected him as he panted heavily down on my neck, close to my ear.

"You were right." He suddenly speaks. A note of surprise appearing in his voice.

"You are fast." He pants out before pulling us both up off the ground. I whimper and begin thrashing in his grip. Gasping when he suddenly picks me up and throws me over his shoulder.

"Not fast enough."

"L-Let me go Raen!" I raise my voice as I begin to thrash at his back, sending punch after punch and not stopping. It's only when he grunts in displeasure and smacks me hard on my ass that my breath hitches and a stray tear rolls down my cheek. I stop throwing punches at him because we both know it's useless.

"Please.." I sob. "Don't bring me back there."

He doesn't listen to my cries as he continues to bring me back to the camp over his shoulders. I hit him in frustration and let out a heart wrenching scream.

"I want to go home!"

"This is your home now." Raen states with a calm voice and I shake my head at this, letting out a strangled breath.

"This is not home. This is hell." I state lowly as I notice after a while the trees start to fade as we come to the edge of the forest. Meaning that we were getting closer to the camp; the awful place I've tried to run from including the demons within it.

As we make our way past the spike barrier, I let my head fall slightly as I begin to feel tired. Raen notices this as I begin to grow heavy in his arms. He brings my legs to the side and lets my top half slide down his shoulder until my head is resting weakly against his chest.

I blink tiredly up at him. My eyes now red rimmed and puffy from crying as I watch his emotionless expression look forward and carry me past white tents. My eyes suddenly widen in fear as my breathing picks up. I bring a hand up to clutch his chest in fear.

"Please don't bring me back to Ana. Bow will-"

"Bow is with Mila. He is staying with her tonight and you will stay with me." He states and after a moment he sighs but doesn't look down.

"You need to get along with Bow. As much as he hates it, you both are brothers."

"He hates me." I spit the words out in both hurt and anger. Remembering his words clear in my mind.

"I tried to save him from those boys and he threw it back in my face. Everything I do is a mistake in his eyes. I've been living with him for days now. Even Ana couldn't stand to look at me until recently. Everyone either hates me or feels sorry for me. I hate it!"

Raen suddenly glances down at me with furrowed brows, sighing to himself as he pulls me closer to his chest to the point where he is almost crushing me against him.