15- More Begging

“When I first heard that you were in trouble, I was very disappointed, Sienna,” Chase tells me in his office the next day.

“I know,” I sigh. “And you totally should be, but-“

“Let me finish,” He interrupts me. I clamp my mouth shut and continue to listen. “But after I heard all of the facts, I don’t agree with expulsion. Fraternizing with employees is not an offence that calls for expulsion, just a few weeks of suspension at most. I am told by your dean, Patrick, that one of the board members told him to expel you though, and that’s not okay with me. Does Barb Tarver have any other reason to expel you?”

I shake my head. “Other than the fact that her daughter hates me, I didn’t do anything wrong. Even when that instructor kissed me, he lied to me. He said that it wasn’t against the rules because he’s a volunteer and I believed him.”

He sighs. “I’m going to have a long chat with Mrs. Tarver then. Expelling kids just for not getting along with her daughter is ridiculous. And stupid when they’re dealing with my niece.”

“So, I’m not getting expelled?” I wonder for clarification.

“Of course not,” He shakes his head. “I’m going to fire this instructor though. The one that conned you into sharing a kiss.”

“No,” I say quickly. “I-I mean, Gianna kind of forced him into it. He’s a jerk, but he’s a good instructor and he doesn’t deserve to lose his job.”

“Okay,” He agrees. “If you say so.”

“Thank you,” I sigh. “I’m really sorry about this whole mess, Uncle Chase.”

“It’s hardly your fault,” Chase assures me from behind his desk. “I doubt your mother has ever told you about coming to this school?”

I shake my head. “I mean, I know that she went to the vocal music school, but she never really talks about it. Why?”

“She met her boyfriend there,” He tells me. “Not your father, but her boyfriend before that. They were in love and your grandma, who was in charge of the school at the time, she gave your mother special permission to date this guy even though it was against the rules and they fell in love. He died not too long after graduation. It was a car crash. That’s when she met your father, after Sam died. Anyway, my point is that my mother believes in true love and all of that and I think I do too.”

“Okay then,” I say slowly, confused as to where this is going. “But I’m not in love.”

“No, of course not,” He laughs. “I’m just saying that it’s been a while since I’ve been able to bend the rules around here and so I’m going to bend the rules for you. This jerk instructor, if you like him, I will allow you to see him. After we have dinner, of course.”

“That’s not going to happen, Uncle Chase,” I assure him with a shake of my head.

“Okay, well the offer isn’t going away,” He tells me with another laugh.

“Thanks then,” I mutter, running my fingers through my hair. “That’s nice of you.”

“I can be nice sometimes,” He nods. “You should probably go soon. I have a meeting in a few hours.”

“Okay,” I sigh, standing up from the chair that I’m sitting in across from his desk. He stands up too and we share a quick hug. “Thanks again, Uncle Chase.”

I leave his house and then I drive back to the campus with a new sense of relief that puts a small smile on my face. I really am going to stay. I park my car and then jog to the dorms where Stella, Mason, and Brian are all waiting in the game room for me to return so that I can tell them what my sentence is.