24

H A R R Y

The first week of school went by in a blur. Isabelle was her usual annoying self whilst Callum felt the need to attach himself to us. I tried hard to pay as little attention as possible to Lana in class, but she always showed up a little late and wore more clothing that hugged her figure oh so nicely.

Wednesday Isabelle smacked me across the head when she noticed me -sorta- checking Lana out in her sports tights. The frown evident on Belle's face when I turned back to look at her was so callous I thought she would try to kill me. However, she didn't say much after that, not hesitating to death glare Lana who sat at the back avoiding all eye contact.

Today however, there was no sign of Lana. Chad was at school, so that erased the idea that she would be with him. Callum didn't bother coming either because he mentioned something about a virus he might have caught.

"Harry."

I was finally snapped out of my day dreaming from a voice that stood above me. I looked up to surprisingly be met with none other than Chad. This was the only time I had ever wished Isabelle was here so she could chase him away.

"What." I snapped back, taking a huge bite of the apple I had been holding in my hand for the past ten minutes. He sat down across from me, eyes scanning around the cafeteria.

"Have you seen Lana around or anything?" He asked, eyes finally landing on mine. I scoffed in response, not even bothering to respond to that question. He narrowed his eyes at me, as if he couldn't believe me.

"What's your problem dude? You've been acting like such a dick since you got back with Isabella for some unknown reason." He retorted, his nose flared and lips slightly parted.

I put my apple down, taking my tray towards the bin before returning to sit back down. Chad didn't hesitate to continue to stare me down as if I was in the wrong.

"Whatever happened to never dating your friend's ex-girlfriend hm?" I asked, completely having changed my mind from what I originally had planned to say to him. He shifted in his seat, his gaze leaving mine for a brief moment and focusing on the table.

"We aren't dating." He mumbled, but I could see right through his lies. "I'll admit yes, I do like her and wish we could, but she doesn't see me like that and it would be wrong of me to do."

I was not expecting that response from him at all. I initially had imagined he would confess and laugh in my face, but his expression told me otherwise.

"Seriously, have you seen Lana?" He asked, his face now screaming worry. I didn't understand why she had a habit of disappearing like that. "She's been...different since Wednesday night, scared even. But she won't tell me what's wrong. Then now she magically disappears today without a word to anyone-"

"Listen, Chad." I finally spoke up, having no patience left in this conversation. "She does this okay? She disappears for a while and gets everyone worked up for the attention. Then you find out she was just at a stupid party where she hooked up with someone."

His eyes widened at my statement, and that's when I realised he didn't actually know what had happened. All this time I thought she had told him and he had believed her word without giving me the time of day.

"That's why you broke up?"

I nodded my head in confirmation to him who looked more irritated than anything. He didn't say anything else to me, standing up and leaving the cafeteria.