Chapter Seventeen

This is such a cool banner, thank you so much for sending this in wiktoriafamulska

If you would like to send your banners in, my email is open! Midika36@gmail.com

It is also open to banners for Fate!

Word Count: 2348

~Alaya

I don't know how I figured he was Fate. It just seemed...obvious.

Never before have I seen eyes so dark, yet so full of life. Like midnight, with brilliant, glimmering stars within the ebony sky. Each star, however, holds a secret that I have no interest in revealing, for my safety. Instead, I concentrate on the unorthodox colour of his hair; like a cobalt blue all mussed before his eyes.

The myths of Fate in childhood stories were always blurred, or left out. It was always easier to talk about the Moon Goddess, who was sweet, beautiful and treasured. Rather that than Fate, a creature who manipulates and controls.

He is oddly more attractive than what I remember being described to me at school. Millennium's of life should have taken a toll on him by now, yet he looks untouched to age. His skin is smooth and unlined, and he seems to have a youthful glow about him, that should have vanished years before my greatest ancestors existed.

That is, if he wasn't immortal.

"I never really took pleasure in viewing females in ceremonial outfits like that," he muses, "although I must admit, that dress it very becoming of you, Alaya."

The use of my name send shivers along my skin, the fine hairs on the back of my neck sticking up. I'm not sure why, though. He works for them all; Aspen, Asher, Death. Yet he's unnerving, as he stares at me, his gaze not relenting for a single second.

"Fate," I murmur, trying not to come off as intimidated.

"I understand you accepted Asher's offer to waltz straight into the arms of our biggest enemy," Fate muses, and I swallow uncomfortably. "Explain to me how an average female such as yourself would be willing to do such a thing, for people she has just met, in a land where she has never stepped foot in?"

I've been asking that same question as I slid the dress on, but it all came down to one thing. "If I don't do this, my old life won't be restored. I don't think you understand how important that is to me."

Fate stepped into the room, past Death, who was silently regarding our conversation. Maybe Fate is surprised that I'm talking back to him, since we only just met and he's well...Fate after all. He's not the strangest thing I have encountered during my time here. And everyone in the Desire Pack believes in Fate anyway, as some kind of excuse to get away with all the activities they get up to everyday.

"Even I fear Sinful," Fate says carefully, standing still in the middle of the room, right in the reflection in the mirror so I could see him but not completely face him.

I look him in the eye, as I say with mild spite, "you were the ones who went against Asher's wishes to send me elsewhere, with no memory. I would like an explanation as to why I'm standing here right now, clearly in a place where I don't belong."

There's a heavy silence, as Death backs away and leaves the room. I wish I could do the same thing too, however, I'm not leaving until I get answers out of his mouth.